Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Share your favorite recipes

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Share your favorite recipes

Hey guys, we got any gourmet cooks out here?

Lol, actually that's not what I'm looking for. I'm a single dad, and I don't get home until 5 or 6 in the evening most nights, and I'm in a rut dinner recipe wise. Let's trade our favorite quick dinners!

I'll start:

Super-easy fajitas!

1 pound of chicken or beef cut into strips

Fresh green, red, yellow pepper cut into strips

Red and white onions same

Tortillas of course.

Taco seasoning (I use Ortega in the bottle) you will need 2-3 if you use the single serve envelopes.

Put everything (except the tortillas) into one big skillet and cook over medium heat until meat is done through, add seasoning and required water to package directions. Heat through and serve with warm tortillas.

Dinner in less than 30 minutes. Not fancy but filling and the kids love it.

Your turn!
    Last edited by Dr. Who; 07-28-2018 at 10:08 AM.
    Retreating? Hell no, I'm just attacking in a different direction!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Crepitus For This Useful Post:

DougRich (07-26-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mushroom-Cheese Chicken (aka Dad's Chicken)

Put boneless chicken breasts in a casserole dish

Splash with a little red wine vinegar

Add equal parts Campbell's cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup

Dice and add bell peppers

In the oven, covered, at 350 degrees for one hour

Take it out, put some American cheese slices on top and re-cover, let sit for a few minutes so the cheese will melt over the top

Serve on rice, if desired
    Last edited by DougRich; 07-26-2018 at 02:06 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DougRich For This Useful Post:

Crepitus (07-26-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually cook by tongue. I make amazing spaghetti sauce and lasagna.
    Let the yoke fall from our shoulders
    Don't carry it all, don't carry it all
    We are all our hands in holders
    Beneath this bold and brilliant sun
    And this I swear to all
    -The Decemberists

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spunkloaf For This Useful Post:

Crepitus (07-26-2018), Dr. Who (07-28-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bigos - Polish Hunter's stew. In the old old days this was a stew that was always on in the pot and just added to with whatever game was brought home. Needless to say, unless you are living in the woods and hunting daily, this would not be very practical.

The base of the stew is a good stock and very well-rinsed naturally fermented sauerkraut.

I fry about two medium chopped onions until they are translucent and then add about half a can of well-rinsed sauerkraut until it all browns a bit. I also separately brown about 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound of 1" cubed seasoned beef or veal and an equal proportion of smoked sausage (it really doesn't matter what kind of smoked sausage, but I would avoid any that are too salty). You can use Kolbassa/Kielbassa just as well. They all work, as long as they are chopped in similar sized pieces as the beef or veal. Combine in your favorite stewing pot and cover with stock. Simmer until the beef or veal is almost ready to eat and then add some quartered potatoes and a couple of carrots. You may have to add additional liquid. Cook until the potatoes and carrots are tender.

This is not a thick type of stew - it's a bit of a hybrid between a soup and a stew. You can serve in a bowl on its own or with mashed potatoes or eat it with a hearty rye bread.

Note: You need to rinse the sauerkraut until it is only mildly sour and squeeze it several times until it is pretty dry before you add it to the frying pan. It is best if you actually put it in a clean tea towel and wring it to remove the moisture.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.” Mahatma Gandhi

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Crepitus (07-26-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Note: You need to rinse the sauerkraut until it is only mildly sour and squeeze it several times until it is pretty dry before you add it to the frying pan. It is best if you actually put it in a clean tea towel and wring it to remove the moisture.
    And even BETTER if you just leave out the sauerkraut all together. Just sayin...

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougRich View Post
    And even BETTER if you just leave out the sauerkraut all together. Just sayin...
    It's really tasty. It's not really sour or anything like that. That's why you have to use naturally fermented sauerkraut. It completely different than the pickled variety. It even looks different. The fermented stuff is very finely cut and really packed into cans or bottles. There is very little liquid surrounding it. You have to try it to know the difference. It's far less acidic than the "other kind". It imparts a flavor apart from the slight acidity (once it has been well rinsed and drained of moisture) that you would never get in sauerkraut that is packed in vinegar or even wine.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.” Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougRich View Post
    And just to razz you a little - when I was growing up, putting cans of cream soup in anything and topping with American cheese was a "Kraft recipe". Strictly verboten in my family home. My father would have left the table and made a sandwich. LOL.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

DougRich (07-27-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And just to razz you a little - when I was growing up, putting cans of cream soup in anything and topping with American cheese was a "Kraft recipe". Strictly verboten in my family home. My father would have left the table and made a sandwich. LOL.
    Sadly I do that kinda thing all the time. I'm time limited many days.

I do usually is cheddar cheese though.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afraid my culinary tastes are not very sophisticated or "civilized". For the first ten years or so of our marriage, the wife and I (and the kids) ate a lot of Hamburger Helper. I would probably still be fixing and eating it had she not decided we could do better.

Yeah, I was turned off in terms of sauerkraut very early in life. My father was raised in an Amish home, so I guess for him it was one of those comfort foods we all have; he would occasionally prevail upon my mother to fix it, and I was totally grossed out by the smell. I can't say for sure whether I ever actually attempted to eat any. Funny, but some of my favorite food items - liver, cauliflower, sardines - have a similar effect on some people. The wife and I have an understanding that I won't steam broccoli or cauliflower while she's in the house and she won't kill me in my sleep.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DougRich For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (07-27-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, time for the next one!

Mexican style chicken skillet.

You will need:
    chicken, diced or sliced, about a pound. Works with light or dark meat.

Medium onion, diced.

Chilli powder, garlic, paprika, or other spices to taste.

11/2 cups of salsa

2 cups cooked rice

1 cup shredded cheese (I use Mexican style Kraft)

Season chicken and onions, cook in large skillit until chicken is done and onions are carmelized. Add cooked rice and salsa, heat through. Top with cheese.

Can serve with sour cream, cilantro, extra cheese, picante, anything that looks good to you.

If you like it spicier add some hotsauce with the salsa.

Dinner in under 30 minutes!