User Tag List

Thread: The Republican Party Sucks

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Republican Party Sucks

Its not what you think but its worth reading.

Once upon a time, the Republican Party didnít suck. Actually, there were lots of times it didnít suck. It didnít suck when, at its founding in the late 1850s, it declared slavery an inhumane, barbaric practice, and eventually ended it. It didnít suck when it ended repressive and predatory Mormon polygamy a few decades later. It didnít suck when it declared late 19th-century corporate monopolies to be injurious to representative democracy and citizen welfare, and diminished their power.

It didnít suck under President Dwight D. Eisenhower, who presided over a postwar era of peace and prosperity. It didnít suck when it fought segregationist Democrats to ensure equal application of the law. It didnít suck when it fought against communism for half a century, and then won.

But starting with the presidency of George H. W. Bush, it really began sucking.

It was Bush Senior who pushed America into the first Persian Gulf War amidst a massive PR snow job involving .

He also pushed economic corollaries to his political one-worldism. He relentlessly preached free trade ideology, eventually signing NAFTA in December of 1992. He laid the groundwork for the World Trade Organization, which would officially emerge in 1995. He began pushing for open trade with Communist China. He refused to protect American manufacturingóauto manufacturing, among other typesóagainst subsidized imports intended to destroy American industries. His 1990 Immigration Act triggered a perpetual flood of cheap Latin American labor which inevitably undercut working-class wages at home.

https://amgreatness.com/2021/05/14/t...n-party-sucks/

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Its not what you think but its worth reading.

Once upon a time, the Republican Party didn’t suck. Actually, there were lots of times it didn’t suck. It didn’t suck when, at its founding in the late 1850s, it declared slavery an inhumane, barbaric practice, and eventually ended it. It didn’t suck when it ended repressive and predatory Mormon polygamy a few decades later. It didn’t suck when it declared late 19th-century corporate monopolies to be injurious to representative democracy and citizen welfare, and diminished their power.

It didn’t suck under President Dwight D. Eisenhower, who presided over a postwar era of peace and prosperity. It didn’t suck when it fought segregationist Democrats to ensure equal application of the law. It didn’t suck when it fought against communism for half a century, and then won.

But starting with the presidency of George H. W. Bush, it really began sucking.

It was Bush Senior who pushed America into the first Persian Gulf War amidst a massive PR snow job involving .

He also pushed economic corollaries to his political one-worldism. He relentlessly preached free trade ideology, eventually signing NAFTA in December of 1992. He laid the groundwork for the World Trade Organization, which would officially emerge in 1995. He began pushing for open trade with Communist China. He refused to protect American manufacturing—auto manufacturing, among other types—against subsidized imports intended to destroy American industries. His 1990 Immigration Act triggered a perpetual flood of cheap Latin American labor which inevitably undercut working-class wages at home.

https://amgreatness.com/2021/05/14/t...n-party-sucks/

Good Sunday Morning Solo;

Interesting posting. I always felt the republican party was as you said except IMO it ended after Eisenhower left office. IMO Nixon was a crook and it was all downhill--I became of voting age during the Nixon era and was so disappointed by what I saw, I decided (being an impressionable 18 year old) to stay away from membership in political parties and thus began a lifelong independent voting status--for the party after that although I thought that Gerald Ford did his best to reunite the country during his brief tenure as President. Reagan's "voodoo" economics tripled the federal deficit during his term of office & he was anti-union; we pick things up with GHW Bush as you mentioned.

GHW Bush was such a terrible president after one term in office he lost the support of the American people and lost out to Bill Clinton who gave us NAFTA (which organized labor was strongly opposed to) which helped to put manufacturing out of business in this country (why pay American workers $15 per hour to make sneakers when they can get it done for $1.25 an hour in Mexico?). Dubya--who I'm sure would make an excellent next door neighbor--just didn't have a clue about economics and while Clinton had balanced the budget, within 9 months of becoming president, GW Bush raised the federal deficit even higher then it already was.

And then Trump gets elected--someone many republicans adored--to the presidency who made promises on the campaign trail that he was either unable to keep or knowingly said to attract voters support. I never liked him because I believe when you serve as president you need to carry out your duties in a professional, dignified manner; IMO Trump did neither belittling those with whom he disagreed with publicly plus you didn't know from one day to the next if he was telling the truth or not. Additionally I've always felt that Trump was a moral blank given his personal background and his business ethics (he was well known in the NY construction industry for failing to pay bills submitted for work performed on his real estate properties or changing the agreed upon amount after the job was completed). I know for many voters its not important but for me if you cannot trust someone in business, then how can you trust him/her to run the country? Anyhow enough of that.

I was never big on the democrats originally, not knowing much about them as an impressionable teenager and when I entered the business world after graduating from college learned they had one platform I could agree with and that was they tended to take a strong positive position on labor in general (although many of them merely paid lip service to the labor movement) and for me being supportive of organized labor (for better or worse) was a maker and breaker for how I'd vote in many elections on the state and federal level. Putting aside claims of fraud in the election, the democrats won, telling me that enough people were fed up with Trump and his policies. Biden--while up there in years--is the first president to publicly support organized labor in this country, something no other president has done since Truman. Refreshingly its more than the traditional lip service, instead he's taking actions which will help the American worker and to me that is paramount for me to consider supporting any politician in office.

Can the republican party ever regain the respect and commitment by an overwhelming of voters in this country? Given the current direction of the party--which according to some is ruled by fear--I doubt it, at least not the party I once knew as a teenager. There is a threat by some prominent republicans to break away and re-form a new party consistent with republican values of 60 years ago. Only time will tell if this will occur or not, it's totally up to the current republicans in control of the party.
    Last edited by Gamewell45; 05-16-2021 at 10:22 AM.
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Solo (05-16-2021)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trump kept more of his promises, than GHBush, CLinton, GW Bush, Obama combined...The two bushs were the biggest failures of all of them.
    GWBUsh left us with endless war on two fronts costing trillions and a deep recession and then kindly gave Obama 750 million to do whatever he chose with...so instead of using it to help out of work americans...he gave it to GM to save them

Obama broke two records, the largest number of americans EVER RECORDED on foodstamps and Unemployment...the liberal media wouldnt report welfare and medicaid numbers.

IMHO trump was the only Potus in my lifetime that actually helped the little guy, help the working man by bringing jobs back, putting tariffs on china and giving american company incentives to manufacture here in the USA...and it was successful Trumps job creation was higher than all of them....Joe Biden in a little over 100 days has us zooming down the toilet...

Mark these words, the working man and woman black white hispanic asian and otherwise making under 100,000 is going to pay the biggest price for the idiocy hes brought to our country....Jobs are done, inflation is SOARING, gas prices soaring...we are in deep trouble, trouble we were not in under Trumps Presidency...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Solo For This Useful Post:

Gamewell45 (05-17-2021)