User Tag List

Thread: Senate Considers Cuban Refugee Mayorkas For Secretary Of Homeland Security

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Senate Considers Cuban Refugee Mayorkas For Secretary Of Homeland Security

Mayorkas nomination headed to full Senate

"Mayorkas has faced the most contentious confirmation hearing of Biden’s Cabinet so far. Republicans posed pointed questions about Biden’s proposals to create a path to citizenship for an estimated 11 million undocumented immigrants and to suspend construction of the wall along the southern border with Mexico.

Republicans also questioned him about an inspector general’s report that found an appearance of favoritism in how he handled visas associated with business investments during a previous stint with the Democrat. But Mayorkas said he was trying to fix problems in a complicated bureaucracy, and Democrats called the report an attempt to smear him.

The top Republican on the committee, Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wisc., said Tuesday he would not support Mayorkas’ nomination, citing “serious issues” in his background like the inspector general report, but Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, who also serves on the panel, said Mayorkas had acknowledged his previous errors and supported his nomination heading to a full Senate vote.

Mayorkas has previously been deputy secretary of the department and headed its citizenship agency. He arrived with his parents from Cuba as refugees from Fidel Castro's regime in 1960."
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to have an entire political forum to myself.

Is there anyone who would like to engage in a little polite discussion of what's going on in America?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'll just keep throwing topics of possible discussion out there to see if anyone would like to comment.

One thing to know is that you can do so safely with me. I am not going to make any personal attacks or insults or make it about you.

I come here to talk about politics.

I am into academic discussions in the manner of civil discourse.

You can drop your defenses, let your guard down with me. I am not going to attack you.

I know that's rare these days, but surely there must be somebody else who would appreciate that?