Thread: Time for a change

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Beevee,

Quote Originally Posted by Beevee View Post
    I see that the White House staff due to their cowardice in not wearing masks or social distancing, are to be at the head of the queue in receiving a covid vaccination.
    So there you have it. Under the Trump autocracy, the very people who largely contributed to the colossal mortality rate in the USA will likely survive the pandemic after being responsible for countless deaths.
    I am so glad Trump turned out to be a one-term wonder.

I didn't think he would even make it through one entire term, but I guess I underestimated the power of BS propaganda.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The greatest danger has not yet been met.
    Who would have thought that conservatives, the purported champions of the Constitution (according to countless posts I have read on other forums) would turn their backs on it so easily and support the suggestion of martial law.
    I wouldn't put Trump past declaring it either and the only question is, would the combined chiefs support it. The one possible response could be that each of them swore an oath to the Constitution, which is neither Trump, the GOP or his propagandists supporters.
    In these days of madness, no one knows until the day of (non biblical) judgement.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one thing that I do take comfort in, is that in less than a month, this four year long nightmare for America will finally be over.
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

PoliTalker (12-29-2020)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamewell45 View Post
    The one thing that I do take comfort in, is that in less than a month, this four year long nightmare for America will finally be over.
    I would say that depends on the upcoming vote in Georgia, which, if it sways towards the Democrats will again be challenged as election fraud with a further spate of lawsuits.
    But, if it goes the other way, the Democrats should cry foul and do the same.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that depends on the upcoming vote in Georgia, which, if it sways towards the Democrats will again be challenged as election fraud with a further spate of lawsuits.
    That is a distinct possibility; in today's world anything is possible. I do believe it would plunge the country into a political crisis never before seen.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Beevee;,

No, two wrongs do not make a right.

The standard for moral conduct cannot be that whatever bad thing another person or group might do.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Beevee;,

No, two wrongs do not make a right.

The standard for moral conduct cannot be that whatever bad thing another person or group might do.
    It's no use taking the moral high ground against a group of right wingers who claim they want to preserve the integrity of the US while at the same time they are doing their best to destroy it.

It's why the current state of affairs exists as it does at the moment.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Beevee,

It's no use taking the moral high ground against a group of right wingers who claim they want to preserve the integrity of the US while at the same time they are doing their best to destroy it.

It's why the current state of affairs exists as it does at the moment.
    I think I have learned that right wingers are a lot like left wingers, just a different flavor. Some of them have ill intent, yes. Others really believe in their virtue and political philosophy. I do think there is more virtue on the left, but that only makes sense. I am left-leaning. And I bet most on the right believe the opposite. They think the right has more virtue.

I can certainly see that the left is no bastion of goodness. I only want to surround myself with good people. I push away hateful and dishonest people. That means in big chat rooms I have a lot of right wingers on Ignore. But ya know what? I have some lefties on Ignore, too. And I know darn well that if I was arguing from the right that most of the lefties I currently get along with just fine would turn on me, not respect me. Even if I had what I thought were valid reasons for what I believe in and treated them with respect.

And in real life, many of those who would be nasty online are rather polite in person. Something about personal contact and shared experiences, knowing that you will face that individual again, and that you have mutual friends who talk.

People are just people. We all try to make a nice life for ourselves, but nobody knows everything. I'm just glad I'm able to be happy and I know a few things.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Beevee,

I think I have learned that right wingers are a lot like left wingers, just a different flavor. Some of them have ill intent, yes. Others really believe in their virtue and political philosophy. I do think there is more virtue on the left, but that only makes sense. I am left-leaning. And I bet most on the right believe the opposite. They think the right has more virtue.

I can certainly see that the left is no bastion of goodness. I only want to surround myself with good people. I push away hateful and dishonest people. That means in big chat rooms I have a lot of right wingers on Ignore. But ya know what? I have some lefties on Ignore, too. And I know darn well that if I was arguing from the right that most of the lefties I currently get along with just fine would turn on me, not respect me. Even if I had what I thought were valid reasons for what I believe in and treated them with respect.

And in real life, many of those who would be nasty online are rather polite in person. Something about personal contact and shared experiences, knowing that you will face that individual again, and that you have mutual friends who talk.

People are just people. We all try to make a nice life for ourselves, but nobody knows everything. I'm just glad I'm able to be happy and I know a few things.
    PoliTalker;

I know this is off topic but nice to see you back; you've been missed.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Gamewell45,

Quote Originally Posted by Gamewell45 View Post
    PoliTalker;

I know this is off topic but nice to see you back; you've been missed.
    I've had a lot going on in real life. I try to keep up with online discussions but it's hard to have a habit of checking in here when there is not much activity and sometimes no new posts have been made. We will have to step up efforts to expand the site.

I have invited a few but so far none have followed through. I guess everybody wants to go to an already-active site, and few are inclined to be a part of building up a site that is not already very active.

I am trying to think of people who would enjoy polite discussions, but most I am familiar with are drawn to the insult-fests, so I am reluctant to bring them in here.

I think there is a general feeling out there that people simply assume any kind of online discussion board is going to be nasty, so they simply stay away from it all.

Still, I am interested in trying to build a group that can have academic political discussions focused on the merit of the discussion rather than personal attacks.