PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D and K2

Just AnotherPerson
08-02-2019, 02:39 PM
I found this good article that describes the importance of taking vitamin D and K2 together.

See more at the link: https://info.dralexrinehart.com/articles/vitamin-d-and-vitamin-k2-benefits-connection

Excerpt:

If you're taking Vitamin D, it is critical that you consider Vitamin K2 supplementation.
Vitamin D and K2 work with one another to maintain tight control over calcium levels in the body.
Vitamin D controls the absorption of calcium into the blood. Vitamin K2 controls where that calcium ends up.
Over-supplementation of vitamin D3 without ample vitamin K2, leads to problems of excess calcium.
If calcium isn't laid into bone, it will find itself in other tissues, like your arteries. Calcium in the arteries is BAD. It contributes to atherosclerosis and vessel stiffness.

Cardiovascular disease just happens to be the leading cause of death.

You can eat a healthy diet, exercise, not smoke, and drink moderately - and still suffer from cardiovascular disease if calcium builds up in your arteries.
Before you run and throw out your D3 supplements, remember that most Americans have suboptimal levels of vitamin D3 in the first place and could benefit from more sun and vitamin D3.

We jumped on vitamin D as a "supervitamin" for good reason. Many now supplement with D3 freely looking for the benefits.

While D3 has amazing benefits to consider for your health, it is CRITICAL to consider K2 with any D3 supplement plan. I'm going to explain why, review some scenarios, and give you general guidelines on how much to take for each scenario.

Gamewell45
08-03-2019, 02:30 PM
I found this good article that describes the importance of taking vitamin D and K2 together.

See more at the link: https://info.dralexrinehart.com/articles/vitamin-d-and-vitamin-k2-benefits-connection

Excerpt:

If you're taking Vitamin D, it is critical that you consider Vitamin K2 supplementation.
Vitamin D and K2 work with one another to maintain tight control over calcium levels in the body.
Vitamin D controls the absorption of calcium into the blood. Vitamin K2 controls where that calcium ends up.
Over-supplementation of vitamin D3 without ample vitamin K2, leads to problems of excess calcium.
If calcium isn't laid into bone, it will find itself in other tissues, like your arteries. Calcium in the arteries is BAD. It contributes to atherosclerosis and vessel stiffness.

Cardiovascular disease just happens to be the leading cause of death.

You can eat a healthy diet, exercise, not smoke, and drink moderately - and still suffer from cardiovascular disease if calcium builds up in your arteries.
Before you run and throw out your D3 supplements, remember that most Americans have suboptimal levels of vitamin D3 in the first place and could benefit from more sun and vitamin D3.

We jumped on vitamin D as a "supervitamin" for good reason. Many now supplement with D3 freely looking for the benefits.

While D3 has amazing benefits to consider for your health, it is CRITICAL to consider K2 with any D3 supplement plan. I'm going to explain why, review some scenarios, and give you general guidelines on how much to take for each scenario.

I"ve been taking D3 & Fish oil for the past 20 years; recent stress test show's that all is in order with no decrease in blood flow when exercising. I also take a drawer full of vitamins such as B-12, Vitamin C, potassium, etc each night. All which help me to feel energized each day. Great posting.

Just AnotherPerson
08-03-2019, 06:18 PM
I"ve been taking D3 & Fish oil for the past 20 years; recent stress test show's that all is in order with no decrease in blood flow when exercising. I also take a drawer full of vitamins such as B-12, Vitamin C, potassium, etc each night. All which help me to feel energized each day. Great posting.

That is awesome! It sounds like you take good care of your health.

I was deficient in Vitamin D so I was told to take a large dose only the dr never said anything about taking K2 with it. Once I found out I always share it with others. It sounds like you are doing well with your supplements. You can get K2 naturally in small amounts if you eat grass fed meats or butter, or even milk. There are a few other foods as well, here is a good article. https://nutritionadventures.com/reviews/vitamin-k2-supplement/

You know when I was young I was really close to my grandmother. She used to take so many supplements. She had a whole basket that she kept next to her coffee table. I never understood it when I was young. But I get it now, LoL. She had it right.

Gamewell45
08-03-2019, 08:59 PM
That is awesome! It sounds like you take good care of your health.

I was deficient in Vitamin D so I was told to take a large dose only the dr never said anything about taking K2 with it. Once I found out I always share it with others. It sounds like you are doing well with your supplements. You can get K2 naturally in small amounts if you eat grass fed meats or butter, or even milk. There are a few other foods as well, here is a good article. https://nutritionadventures.com/reviews/vitamin-k2-supplement/

You know when I was young I was really close to my grandmother. She used to take so many supplements. She had a whole basket that she kept next to her coffee table. I never understood it when I was young. But I get it now, LoL. She had it right.

Like your grandmother, my father had a cabinet full of vitamins that he took in later years and I believe it helped him live an active life right up to the end so there is definitely something to be said about taking vitamin supplements.

Just AnotherPerson
08-03-2019, 10:30 PM
Like your grandmother, my father had a cabinet full of vitamins that he took in later years and I believe it helped him live an active life right up to the end so there is definitely something to be said about taking vitamin supplements.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Captain Obvious
08-04-2019, 10:07 PM
We had a health fair at the hospital I work at, shit ton of lab tests dirt cheap so Me, wife and son went and had them.

I feel really fortunate about this, at 51 I've enjoyed really good health. My mom was a train wreck, heart disease, diabetes (type II), she was obese, depression, a couple strokes, kidney failure... I always figured that was heading my way but I think I dodged it. She died at 56, congestive heart failure. My sister was worried about the same thing and she just turned 56 and high fived me on it lol

My tests came out great, no cholesterol issues, D was good, sugar, couple other things, all good. I am really blessed and I don't take it for granted.

My wife's cholesterol was a little high, she likes bacon lol and my son's tests were fine but both of them pinged vitamin D deficiency, my sons was really low.

And it's weird, we live in the desert. Constant sunshine but high altitude. 6,500 feet, higher than Denver. It took me three years to adjust to the catching my breath and if I'm under my truck changing oil or something and stand up fast I get dizzy, to the point of having to grab something or fall over. I've adjusted to that but I still get lightheaded sometimes briefly.

But it's been said around here that D deficiency is common because of the altitude. I don't understand that, with the constant sunshine and all and being that much closer to it.

But anyway, they take D supplements.

I get a shit ton of sunshine since I walk outdoors every day, 5 or 10 miles a day usually. I get sunburned a lot, I don't use sunscreen and yeah yeah, I know. Skin cancer doesn't run in my family and I'm taking a chance. I love sunshine and the feeling of being burned a little. I don't get burned badly but my skin is darkening a lot.

Gamewell45
08-05-2019, 01:53 PM
We had a health fair at the hospital I work at, shit ton of lab tests dirt cheap so Me, wife and son went and had them.

I feel really fortunate about this, at 51 I've enjoyed really good health. My mom was a train wreck, heart disease, diabetes (type II), she was obese, depression, a couple strokes, kidney failure... I always figured that was heading my way but I think I dodged it. She died at 56, congestive heart failure. My sister was worried about the same thing and she just turned 56 and high fived me on it lol

My tests came out great, no cholesterol issues, D was good, sugar, couple other things, all good. I am really blessed and I don't take it for granted.

My wife's cholesterol was a little high, she likes bacon lol and my son's tests were fine but both of them pinged vitamin D deficiency, my sons was really low.

And it's weird, we live in the desert. Constant sunshine but high altitude. 6,500 feet, higher than Denver. It took me three years to adjust to the catching my breath and if I'm under my truck changing oil or something and stand up fast I get dizzy, to the point of having to grab something or fall over. I've adjusted to that but I still get lightheaded sometimes briefly.

But it's been said around here that D deficiency is common because of the altitude. I don't understand that, with the constant sunshine and all and being that much closer to it.

But anyway, they take D supplements.

I get a shit ton of sunshine since I walk outdoors every day, 5 or 10 miles a day usually. I get sunburned a lot, I don't use sunscreen and yeah yeah, I know. Skin cancer doesn't run in my family and I'm taking a chance. I love sunshine and the feeling of being burned a little. I don't get burned badly but my skin is darkening a lot.

It's great that you are enjoying good health and also being proactive about it. Too bad more people don't get out and walk; it is one of the great exercises that your body really needs; every night before sunset both my wife and I always go out and take a walk for about a half hour to 45 minutes. It's great for your cardiac system. No one knows how long they are going to live but if you enjoy a good quality of life to the end, that's the best way to live as opposed to being confined to a bed or chair IMO.

Just AnotherPerson
08-05-2019, 03:31 PM
It's great that you are enjoying good health and also being proactive about it. Too bad more people don't get out and walk; it is one of the great exercises that your body really needs; every night before sunset both my wife and I always go out and take a walk for about a half hour to 45 minutes. It's great for your cardiac system. No one knows how long they are going to live but if you enjoy a good quality of life to the end, that's the best way to live as opposed to being confined to a bed or chair IMO.

Well said!