PDA

View Full Version : Australian PM mugged...

William
08-24-2018, 04:22 AM
Moderate Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull was forced out of office by the extreme right wing of the Australian conservative party.

Malcolm Turnbull will go down in history as the prime minister most disproportionately and gorily executed by his colleagues on the most nebulous of grounds.

Essentially, his crimes against the Liberal Party were a vibe thing.

Even when he was doing what his conservative colleagues wanted him to do, he failed to convince them because deep down, they felt he didn't really mean it.

Their fear always was that Malcolm Turnbull despite everything he said was secretly, in his heart, running a Labor government.

And isn't that funny.

Because that's exactly what they'll now get.http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-24/malcolm-turnbull-liberal-party-fear-comes-to-pass/10160764

I don't know anything about politics, but my dad says Mr Turnbull was a decent, middle-of-the-road, Prime Minister who did many good things (including marriage equality legislation) for Australia. Is Australia going in the direction of the USA under President Trump? :dontknow:

DougRich
08-24-2018, 09:20 AM
Moderate Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull was forced out of office by the extreme right wing of the Australian conservative party.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-24/malcolm-turnbull-liberal-party-fear-comes-to-pass/10160764

I don't know anything about politics, but my dad says Mr Turnbull was a decent, middle-of-the-road, Prime Minister who did many good things (including marriage equality legislation) for Australia. Is Australia going in the direction of the USA under President Trump? :dontknow:

I know less than you do about Australian politics, William, but - to use the 2016 U.S. Presidential election as an example - I believe a key factor in keeping someone like Trump out of office is to offer an alternative that satisfies the popular longing for plain-spokenness and candor, while maintaining a certain dignity and thoughtfulness that everyone can respect. The appeal of someone like Trump, to many, is that he reminds them of that opinionated loudmouth at the end of the bar who isn't afraid to express his opinion, however hyperbolic and politically incorrect - and who makes everyone laugh, however nervously.

BTW, William, do you get John Oliver's "Last Week Tonight" over there? Last Sunday, he did a segment on a really spun-out right wing Australian political leader who appears to be a real mental case.

Beevee
08-24-2018, 02:16 PM
The public in Australia can't control who the prime minister Is, Doug.
He is chosen by a vote of the parliamentary members of his party.
Consequently, the only way to remove the PM is for the electorate to vote for the constituency member of an opposition party standing in the same riding (constituency) to overthrow the incumbent.

DougRich
08-25-2018, 11:46 AM
The public in Australia can't control who the prime minister Is, Doug.
He is chosen by a vote of the parliamentary members of his party.
Consequently, the only way to remove the PM is for the electorate to vote for the constituency member of an opposition party standing in the same riding (constituency) to overthrow the incumbent.

Well, I suspected something like that might be the case in Australia, as in Britain. Nevertheless, popular support or opposition among the general public does usually translate to a corresponding position on the part of legislators (or, in this case, parliamentary members). Doesn't the Party in power stand to lose control of the parliamentary body, at the next election, if they select someone whom the public overwhelmingly despises?

Beevee
08-25-2018, 04:33 PM
Well, I suspected something like that might be the case in Australia, as in Britain. Nevertheless, popular support or opposition among the general public does usually translate to a corresponding position on the part of legislators (or, in this case, parliamentary members). Doesn't the Party in power stand to lose control of the parliamentary body, at the next election, if they select someone whom the public overwhelmingly despises?

In theory.
Can you be sure that will happen with Trump? I'm not so sure that Republican Congress support for him will sway voters to change allegiance away from the party they have supported for x amount of years.

DougRich
08-25-2018, 06:27 PM
In theory.
Can you be sure that will happen with Trump? I'm not so sure that Republican Congress support for him will sway voters to change allegiance away from the party they have supported for x amount of years.

Don't forget that those registered as Republicans account for only 23% of the population, compared with 32% who are registered as Democrats and 39% who identify as Independents. (And those are 2014 numbers, so...) Of course many Independents lean Right, but more than that lean the other way. It's going to take the most qualified, bulletproof and thick-skinned candidate the Party has ever fielded, but I honestly believe that Cheeto Jesus can be defeated - especially if the current trend of his legal fortunes continues to spiral downward.

William
08-27-2018, 04:36 AM
I know less than you do about Australian politics, William, but - to use the 2016 U.S. Presidential election as an example - I believe a key factor in keeping someone like Trump out of office is to offer an alternative that satisfies the popular longing for plain-spokenness and candor, while maintaining a certain dignity and thoughtfulness that everyone can respect. The appeal of someone like Trump, to many, is that he reminds them of that opinionated loudmouth at the end of the bar who isn't afraid to express his opinion, however hyperbolic and politically incorrect - and who makes everyone laugh, however nervously.

BTW, William, do you get John Oliver's "Last Week Tonight" over there? Last Sunday, he did a segment on a really spun-out right wing Australian political leader who appears to be a real mental case.

I dunno - I only get to watch TV up to 9 PM, and our TV is welded on to the the ABC. So if it's on a commercial channel, I wouldn't see it. I think we may have a number of right-wing ratbags in Parliament and the Senate. One I know for sure is ex-PM Tony Abbot, and another is Pauline Hanson (sort of the Sarah Palin of the outback,) and both are mental cases.

Dr. Who
08-27-2018, 05:07 PM
I dunno - I only get to watch TV up to 9 PM, and our TV is welded on to the the ABC. So if it's on a commercial channel, I wouldn't see it. I think we may have a number of right-wing ratbags in Parliament and the Senate. One I know for sure is ex-PM Tony Abbot, and another is Pauline Hanson (sort of the Sarah Palin of the outback,) and both are mental cases.
Most of the "Last Week Tonights" are available on Youtube.