PDA

View Full Version : Robots Making Burgers in San Francisco - World's First Entirely Robotic Restuarant

Dr. Who
06-24-2018, 06:31 PM
https://youtu.be/y0_7NrrV8T4

Prep4School

On June 27th Creator unveiling its first robot restaurant in San Francisco.

Customers can get a burger crafted by a 14-foot-long “culinary instrument” — also known as a robot for $6.

Creator’s burger-making robot is a long stretch of sleek machinery, with 350 sensors, 50 actuators, and 20 computers to ensure every sauce is dispensed down to the milliliter and every spice down to the gram.

Machines can cook burgers over a hot griddle and slice tomatoes more efficiently than a human can do.

The strands of meat hang vertically and are lightly pressed together.

Three compressed-air tubes hold fresh-baked brioche buns, ready to push one out to a belt when you place your order.

An app will let people customize the exact ratios of all the ingredients.

In September, Creator will be open to the public.

spunkloaf
06-26-2018, 09:21 AM
The automation revolution is around the corner, and we need to think about what that means for our work force.

DougRich
06-26-2018, 11:42 AM
Did anyone else see that Season 11 episode of 'The X-Files' where Mulder and Scully eat at the automated sushi restaurant? A cautionary classic.

Dr. Who
06-26-2018, 06:16 PM
This is the beginning of the end for McDonalds, Burger King and other fast food franchise workers. You'll just need someone to periodically fill the hoppers. Add self-serve order machines/ordering apps and you could run a franchise with as little as one person on any shift, particularly in food courts where the franchise has no seating or tables to clean.

DougRich
06-26-2018, 09:42 PM
Hey, if they can program those robots to make a real-life fast food burger that actually LOOKS like the burger in the advertisement, I'm in.

Crepitus
06-26-2018, 10:24 PM
At $6 a burger it isn't really competition for fast food just yet.

Also, no mention of the French fry robot either.

Dr. Who
06-26-2018, 10:57 PM
At $6 a burger it isn't really competition for fast food just yet.

Also, no mention of the French fry robot either.
That might be the easiest part if they go with a different form of frying, like those fryers that use very little oil combined with hot air.

Crepitus
06-26-2018, 11:43 PM
That might be the easiest part if they go with a different form of frying, like those fryers that use very little oil combined with hot air.

I bought on a those a while back. Didn't work very well.

Dr. Who
06-27-2018, 12:30 AM
I bought on a those a while back. Didn't work very well.
I suspect that there are commercial versions that work just fine.

Gamewell45
06-27-2018, 02:52 AM
I think for some people there is a human element involved and they at least initially, might not feel comfortable dealing with a robot. The automation is as only as good as the humans that program it. Maybe years down the road they'll perfect it to the point where it is universally accepted by the public in general.

Dr. Who
06-27-2018, 05:23 PM
I think for some people there is a human element involved and they at least initially, might not feel comfortable dealing with a robot. The automation is as only as good as the humans that program it. Maybe years down the road they'll perfect it to the point where it is universally accepted by the public in general.
Undoubtedly the young will be more likely to accept it more readily than the older crowd.

DougRich
06-27-2018, 05:39 PM
I just remembered a short story I read many years ago, about a very old Tarzan, living in a city and trying to get a robot server in a restaurant to give him a raw steak.

Green Lantern
06-28-2018, 03:30 AM
The automation revolution is around the corner, and we need to think about what that means for our work force.

While I don't like this, as history shows, such advancements will open different jobs. Some will suffer, as some would even without advancements, and some will prosper. The advancements may change which is which, but that's about it. I believe one day, the creative types will be the ones that are most prosperous.

Eventually, most "menial" jobs will be handled by machines. Humans will adapt, as we always have. Eventually, it's likely there will be no need for currency. That's a ways down the road, though.

Green Lantern
06-28-2018, 03:32 AM
Undoubtedly the young will be more likely to accept it more readily than the older crowd.

That's natural. The older one gets, the more resistant to change, typically. We're seeing that start to last longer, as rapid as progress is getting.

Just looking at my parents, they have adapted quite a bit to the computer age, and they're in their 70s.

DougRich
06-28-2018, 09:21 AM
While I don't like this, as history shows, such advancements will open different jobs. Some will suffer, as some would even without advancements, and some will prosper. The advancements may change which is which, but that's about it. I believe one day, the creative types will be the ones that are most prosperous.

Eventually, most "menial" jobs will be handled by machines. Humans will adapt, as we always have. Eventually, it's likely there will be no need for currency. That's a ways down the road, though.

The uncomfortable truth is that there will always be a certain percentage of the population that, despite whatever advances in education and training may come, will never be equipped, intellectually or temperamentally, for any but the simplest physical labor. What concessions or adjustments is society prepared to make in order to integrate those people into the workforce, when machines are doing most of the jobs that those people formerly held? Or will they somehow exist outside the workforce under some "guaranteed minimum income" scheme? One perhaps unfortunate consequence of our modern day, consumer-driven, instant (and visual) communication of everything everyone else is doing (and owning) to the world is that a lot of minimum wage folks - let alone the unemployed - aspire to the sort of lifestyle, conveniences and grownup toys that their abilities are, realistically, never going to be able to provide them. That breeds frustration and resentment, among other things.

Just AnotherPerson
04-14-2019, 02:24 AM
That's natural. The older one gets, the more resistant to change, typically. We're seeing that start to last longer, as rapid as progress is getting.

Just looking at my parents, they have adapted quite a bit to the computer age, and they're in their 70s.

For me I think it is that the younger generation does not know any better. They didn't live during the "free" times like we did. They don't know anything different, so they are all on board with automation, even other things like having your phone listening in, or the Artificial intelligence business. We older folks know differently. We lived in the time before the hardcore spying, we used to have some freedoms that we don't have today. The kids of today can't even fathom that life we lived, nor would they want to. Times are changing, and for us who want to hold on to our freedoms, or our old ways, it is going to be a bit painful going into the future. At least that is how I feel about it.