PDA

View Full Version : Putin stepping down? Russian leader said he won’t seek three terms in a row

Dr. Who
05-26-2018, 09:45 PM
Russian President Vladimir Putin said to state media that he would step down from his position in 2024 after his current term. Russian law prohibits him from seeking a third consecutive term.
BY JOE DIFAZIO ON 5/26/18 AT 10:39 AM

Putin’s future, however, remains an open question.

Putin previously served as president, but did not relinquish power when he left. After serving two terms as president, Putin moved to become Prime Minister in 2008 and then returned to being president in 2012.

“I have always strictly abided by and abide by the constitution of the Russian Federation,” said Putin, according to Reuters. “In the constitution, it’s clearly written that nobody can serve more than two terms in a row ... I intend to abide by this rule.”
http://www.newsweek.com/putin-stepping-down-after-term-russian-leader-said-he-wont-have-three-terms-945812

Well, at this point he is filthy rich and can retire in luxury. The question is, who takes over?

Gamewell45
05-26-2018, 09:54 PM
Russian President Vladimir Putin said to state media that he would step down from his position in 2024 after his current term. Russian law prohibits him from seeking a third consecutive term.

Putin previously served as president, but did not relinquish power when he left. After serving two terms as president, Putin moved to become Prime Minister in 2008 and then returned to being president in 2012.

“I have always strictly abided by and abide by the constitution of the Russian Federation,” said Putin, according to Reuters. “In the constitution, it’s clearly written that nobody can serve more than two terms in a row ... I intend to abide by this rule.”
http://www.newsweek.com/putin-stepping-down-after-term-russian-leader-said-he-wont-have-three-terms-945812

Well, at this point he is filthy rich and can retire in luxury. The question is, who takes over?

That is the question of the hour. Will it truly be one selected by the citizens of the federation or a handpicked successor?

jet57
05-26-2018, 10:14 PM

If he can't run again, how is announcing that he's going to step down say anything? I'm confused on that... (slight sarcasm there)

I'm sure he'll usher himself into being head of intelligence again, and thereby head of the country.

I don't get Russia.

Dr. Who
05-27-2018, 09:57 AM
Putin has continuously held office as president or prime minister i.e. both, since August 1999, so when he retires, it will have been 25 years.

There many, including Russian analysts, who believe that even out of office, he will contrive to somehow retain ultimate power. The authoritarian methods Putin has used to remain in power over the last 20 odd years have made it dangerous for him to really retire. Having undermined the rule of law, rights, and institutions of democracy, he will have a difficult time relying on those same institutions, such as the courts, to protect him once out of office, particularly if any of his detractors come to power. I really doubt that he wants to spend his retirement in a Russian gulag or in hiding somewhere else on the planet.

Meanwhile, any news of a potential successor will be unlikely for several years, since expressing an interest in the job can have unpleasant consequences in Russia. Most certainly, Putin will be grooming his own successor from among his loyal allies and likely engineering changes to keep himself within the power structure. It's that or retire to a South American jungle for the remainder of his life.

Average Red Panda
05-29-2018, 07:41 AM
Maybe, just to make things as cartoonish as possible, it will coincidentally be Medvedev again! :p

Seriously, does it matter who succeeds him? Even if the Russian constitution doesn't undergo some kind of "emergency" revision between now and six years from now that allows Mr. Putin to hold his position openly for life, whoever succeeds him in 2024 will just be a stand-in there to serve as a bridge between his current and inevitable fifth term anyway. It's not like he or any "successor" has to win democratically or something. He's in office for life.

Dr. Who
05-29-2018, 05:03 PM
Maybe, just to make things as cartoonish as possible, it will coincidentally be Medvedev again! :p

Seriously, does it matter who succeeds him? Even if the Russian constitution doesn't undergo some kind of "emergency" revision between now and six years from now that allows Mr. Putin to hold his position openly for life, whoever succeeds him in 2024 will just be a stand-in there to serve as a bridge between his current and inevitable fifth term anyway. It's not like he or any "successor" has to win democratically or something. He's in office for life.
It might well be Medvedev. However, as noted, Putin is unlikely to be far away.

Green Arrow
05-29-2018, 08:20 PM
This is the key quote that is of utmost importance here:

“I have always strictly abided by and abide by the constitution of the Russian Federation,” said Putin, according to Reuters. “In the constitution, it’s clearly written that nobody can serve more than two terms in a row ... I intend to abide by this rule."

I would not be at all surprised if Putin did one of three things:

1) Saw to the election of a puppet PM (like Medvedev a number of years ago) and then came back to the PMship after a term or two

2) Changed the law to eliminate the term limit

3) Actually retires

I find either 1 or 3 to be the most likely options. I don't think the Russian people or the Duma would take too kindly to changing the law. Of 1 or 3, I believe 1 to be the most likely option.

Regardless, it will be interesting to watch.

Beevee
06-03-2018, 02:51 PM

Hasn't he done this before? Only to stand as Prime Minister? Doesn't he and Medvedev take turns with these two positions or is my memory failing me?

Dr. Who
06-03-2018, 07:05 PM
Hasn't he done this before? Only to stand as Prime Minister? Doesn't he and Medvedev take turns with these two positions or is my memory failing me?
He has, but I don't think it's Constitutionally possible for him to do it again.

Crepitus
06-04-2018, 05:56 PM

Most likely whoever is the most compliant puppet.