User Tag List

Thread: Is There a Deep Split between French and English Canada?

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is There a Deep Split between French and English Canada?

Is there a deep split between our neighbors to the north and if so, is it something that should concern the United States or is it an issue between the French and Anglo's that will work itself out over time?

I read an article recently about this and thought that I'd post a link for those of you who might be interested in reading it.

Canada’s conscious and successful striving after unity should be borne in mind as we examine another great and permanent problem of the country: preserving and encouraging harmonious relations between French Canada and English Canada. In this connection “English” Canada means all the population, whether of British or other origin, that speaks English.

Though it is focused in Quebec and Ontario, the problem is Dominion-wide. A considerable minority in Quebec, nearly 20 percent of the 3.3 million in that province, are English Canadians. French Canadians form considerable minorities in every other province except British Columbia. French is the native tongue of three out of every ten Canadians.

Many Americans wonder why the French in Canada have not been assimilated—swallowed up in the English majority. But assimilation was out of the question. The French did not go to Canada to be Anglicized. They went there to live as French men under the French flag. The history of Canada as a French colony is almost as long as that of the United States as republic.

https://www.historians.org/about-aha...english-canada
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    French Canadians are extremely protective of their language. They were very supportive when President Charles de Gaulle attempted to replace what was then the world's dominant language, English, with French. Obviously, it failed but the fall out is still there.

Any immigrant who applies for citizenship in Canada has to pass an oral language test of their choosing, either English or French and this is accepted by all the Provinces as a minimum but when it comes down to citizens, it's not so clearcut.

Here in Quebec, I face that problem. I don't speak French in a predominate french speaking province although most people understand English, even if they don't speak it. However, some are adament and one owner of a condo in the building in which I live, although a perfect speaker in English, refuses to speak to me and instead communicates by email in French, leaving me to put it through a translator.

So, there you have it, from a personal point of view.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Beevee For This Useful Post:

Gamewell45 (06-16-2020)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was intrigued by your post so I did some googling and found that there has been a push in recent years for either complete independence or increased sovereignty for the Quebecers. They are truly concerned about the preservation of their culture and language and are nationalistic in character and they are truly afraid of being assimilated by the rest of Canada.

Apparently there have been some attempts since the mid-1860's and onward to push for their independence although it appears that the movement didn't catch fire until the 1950's-1960's when European countries were in the process of granting independence to many of their colonies at the time.

I think it'll be interesting to see what, if anything, happens over the next decade since the movement seems to be alive and well based on what I've read.

I've only been to Canada once in my life and that was to visit the city of Toronto; it was a rather nice city with pleasant people. I would like to visit Montreal someday especially since it is not that far from where I live (upstate NY) as I hear it is a beautiful city as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec...ignty_movement

https://www.britannica.com/place/Can...bec-separatism

https://www.thomas.k12.ga.us/userfil...erpoint%20.pdf

https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Amer...ngles-politics
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe an independent Quebec is on the cards.
    The Parti Quebecois which was the predominate party for independence was all but decimated in the last election.
    French Canadians have lost the will to fight for it after having had reduced support over a number of elections. It isn't even spoken about lately and I think it's now a dead duck.

French Canadians do their own thing whether they are part of Canada or not. Just google the covid_19 figures and you will probably find that over 50% of cases and deaths are in this province and worst of all in Montreal.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Beevee For This Useful Post:

Gamewell45 (06-17-2020)