Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 asteroids are headed for Earth this month

See more at the link https://www.nj.com/news/2019/08/6-as...-building.html

Excerpt:

Scientists at NASA are tracking six asteroids that will be heading in the direction of our planet during the next few weeks, and one of them is larger than the Empire State Building.

But, first things first. Take a deep breath. Experts are assuring us there’s no reason to panic.

Yes, an asteroid that’s almost 1,900 feet in diameter and zipping at a speed of 10,000 mph is capable of causing massive destruction if it were to make a direct hit on any city on Earth. However, it will be tracking about 5 million miles away from our planet when it flies past us on Aug. 10, according to a report by CNN.

That is a safe distance, although it still warrants monitoring by NASA’s Planetary Defense Coordination Office because it is considered a “near-Earth object,” CNN said.

To help put the distance into perspective, the moon is about 238,855 miles away from Earth and the sun is about 93 million miles away.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Target: California!

...wait, I live near there

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    See more at the link https://www.nj.com/news/2019/08/6-as...-building.html

Excerpt:

Scientists at NASA are tracking six asteroids that will be heading in the direction of our planet during the next few weeks, and one of them is larger than the Empire State Building.

But, first things first. Take a deep breath. Experts are assuring us there’s no reason to panic.

Yes, an asteroid that’s almost 1,900 feet in diameter and zipping at a speed of 10,000 mph is capable of causing massive destruction if it were to make a direct hit on any city on Earth. However, it will be tracking about 5 million miles away from our planet when it flies past us on Aug. 10, according to a report by CNN.

That is a safe distance, although it still warrants monitoring by NASA’s Planetary Defense Coordination Office because it is considered a “near-Earth object,” CNN said.

To help put the distance into perspective, the moon is about 238,855 miles away from Earth and the sun is about 93 million miles away.
    Glad to hear they appear to be far enough away from us. That would be the last thing this planet needs to have happen.
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (08-19-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Target: California!

...wait, I live near there
    You know, if it was a Hollywood film, they'd probably make California the target since production costs would be less as opposed to shooting the film elsewhere, especially if it were a "B" movie.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (08-20-2019), Just AnotherPerson (08-19-2019)

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamewell45 View Post
    Glad to hear they appear to be far enough away from us. That would be the last thing this planet needs to have happen.
    That's for sure! This makes me think of a great show I just watched on Netflix, about the one that took out the dinosaurs. Here is the trailer. LoL
    It was a PBS show called, The day the dinosaurs died.

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamewell45 View Post
    You know, if it was a Hollywood film, they'd probably make California the target since production costs would be less as opposed to shooting the film elsewhere, especially if it were a "B" movie.
    The B disaster movies are more like comedies. I strangely like them..... weird. I pretty much laugh the whole time I am watching. It seems like they use bad acting on purpose like it is just the style for those kinds of movies. It is really too much sometimes, but every so many years a good disaster B movie is in order. LoL.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Gamewell45 (08-19-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    The B disaster movies are more like comedies. I strangely like them..... weird. I pretty much laugh the whole time I am watching. It seems like they use bad acting on purpose like it is just the style for those kinds of movies. It is really too much sometimes, but every so many years a good disaster B movie is in order. LoL.
    You're right; sometimes these "B" movies are so bad, they are good.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (08-19-2019)