Thread: Vacation destroys the diet

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vacation destroys the diet

Well I spent some time vacationing on the coast of Oregon. It was really great. It has been a few years since I have been there. The only problem is that I gained a "few" pounds, Lol. I was on an awesome diet, until the vacation. I have been trying to get back on track though. Dang it is like if you eat just a few carbs your body doesn't want to let you stop.

Besides diet destruction, the Ocean was amazing. The stars at night were splendid. Where I live now the stars are already really awesome because I live in the woods outside of town. But at the Ocean the stars looked bigger and brighter so breath taking.
    Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 08-01-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks very peaceful and relaxing. I hope you made the best of it. Oregon is one of a handful of states that I have not visited in my lifetime; someday I hope to pay a visit there.
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (08-01-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamewell45 View Post
    Looks very peaceful and relaxing. I hope you made the best of it. Oregon is one of a handful of states that I have not visited in my lifetime; someday I hope to pay a visit there.
    I did thank you. I would also love to visit the redwoods one day. I have never had the chance to see one of those big trees yet in my life, just in pictures. It is always nice going to a place you have never been before. You get to see it with fresh eyes, with nothing added.

The Oregon coast is not Hawaii LoL, But it was nice to see the Ocean and the stars at night.
    Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 08-01-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    meh... don't sweat it, just double-down now. Vacations are supposed to be relaxing and not anxious.

My wife and son and her mom and aunt did an Oregon coast 10 day trip a couple months ago. I didn't go, I was out of town but they said it was really nice.

I don't care for the culture and politics of the west coast but we do (just a couple weeks ago) go to San Francisco for long weekend getaways.

Just go easy on the rice and beans (which I know you like ) and other high carb stuff for a week or two, you'll be fine.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (08-01-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    meh... don't sweat it, just double-down now. Vacations are supposed to be relaxing and not anxious.

My wife and son and her mom and aunt did an Oregon coast 10 day trip a couple months ago. I didn't go, I was out of town but they said it was really nice.

I don't care for the culture and politics of the west coast but we do (just a couple weeks ago) go to San Francisco for long weekend getaways.

Just go easy on the rice and beans (which I know you like ) and other high carb stuff for a week or two, you'll be fine.
    For the love of God can I just get one freakin' cookie? Lol, my demon family members at the coast bought a whole box of homemade cookies. Those awful monsters. They held the box open to me, here just have one cookie. I was like no I cant do it. Then the Satan like step mother said again and again, "just have one". Dammit, ok so I picked out one it was a sugar cookie with sprinkles.

Once it was in my hand I was like no freakin' way. I cant eat this, it would destroy months of dieting. If I eat even one I know myself, it will lead to two, and then three, then the next day and the day after. Next thing you know I look like I came right out of the ocean. Like a beached whale. I was like sorry I cant eat this, my little sister who is 15 said, "ok, i'll take it". Then she hands me a little piece of it and she says, "just eat this one little piece, pretend it is the only thing in the world". How can I say no to my little sister? I ate that piece of Satan food, I haven't been right since.

One bite of sweets and it just makes me crave it every day. Ok back to salads. I gotta get myself in check stat! LoL

10 Day Oregon trip that sounds perfect. Me and my family did a 6 day trip. It was pretty awesome. You got my number on the beans and rice too. LoL.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (08-04-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    For the love of God can I just get one freakin' cookie? Lol, my demon family members at the coast bought a whole box of homemade cookies. Those awful monsters. They held the box open to me, here just have one cookie. I was like no I cant do it. Then the Satan like step mother said again and again, "just have one". Dammit, ok so I picked out one it was a sugar cookie with sprinkles.

Once it was in my hand I was like no freakin' way. I cant eat this, it would destroy months of dieting. If I eat even one I know myself, it will lead to two, and then three, then the next day and the day after. Next thing you know I look like I came right out of the ocean. Like a beached whale. I was like sorry I cant eat this, my little sister who is 15 said, "ok, i'll take it". Then she hands me a little piece of it and she says, "just eat this one little piece, pretend it is the only thing in the world". How can I say no to my little sister? I ate that piece of Satan food, I haven't been right since.

One bite of sweets and it just makes me crave it every day. Ok back to salads. I gotta get myself in check stat! LoL

10 Day Oregon trip that sounds perfect. Me and my family did a 6 day trip. It was pretty awesome. You got my number on the beans and rice too. LoL.
    Welcome to middle age lol

I remember when I was in my early 20's, worked as a messenger for a high profile, huge law firm. Ran packages to other firms around downtown Pittsburgh. Life was good, I knew every hot receptionist in the city and I could eat 3 big macs for lunch and never gain a pound.

Now I eat a piece of meatloaf and gain two pounds.

I recently, well over the past year and a half drastically changed my diet and lifestyle. I walk between 5 and 10 miles a day, usually. I go through spurts where 10 miles a day average then reel it in a little if I have to take a break but I'm always generally active. Only got 5 miles in today but tomorrow I'm pushing for 10 plus.

I eat very little now and it doesn't bother me. I almost stopped eating but I'm 51 and I'm worried now about protein and muscle loss. More fruit, veggies, some nuts, protein bars (I call them "fart bars" lol), eggs, meats of any kind really. I avoid starches and carbs, I don't drink beer and really avoid breads, beans, rice, potatoes and the like. Higher starch fruits like cherries, melons I'll still eat in moderation.

A year and a half ago I was around 285. I hit 201 a couple weeks ago but my calorie intake was in the 800's and I was walking a lot and started really feeling weak and tired a lot, shaky too, like trembling hands so I'm focused on eating more but really I don't want to, I'm not hungry or craving. Which is weird, two years ago I'd want to eat all the time, now I'm trying to force it a little. I'm hovering around 205 now and I'm ok with that. I had a dozen wings at an arts festival at the park in my town today, binged lol but that might be all I eat today.

Went from a size 46 jeans to 38 that are getting kind of loose on me now. People at work are freaked out at how thin I got. I'm fairly tall too, 6 foot. Went through 3 wardrobe changes along the way. The only problem I have now is my gut, it's smaller but the flab, ugh. I hope that goes away over time but I'm not sure.

I have been told I have an ass of a high school boy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (08-05-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow @Captain Obvious congratulations on your awesome taking care of your health.

One thing about us (most people) is that our lives are not just our own. We belong to so many people. Taking care of our health the best we can is almost a responsibility to those who we love. A lot of us have so many who love us and depend on us. I almost died after taking a bad medication. It really opened my eyes as to just how important we are to others. We always think of how much others mean to us. But what we mean to them is just as important.

Have you ever tried juicing? That could be one good way to get extra nutrients in your diet if you are not hungry. I am so envious that you are not hungry. I tried the Keto diet once and that diet worked in a way that you don't feel any hunger it was awesome. But I didn't think it was safe. It was about stopping eating carbs, and sugar. It changes your body over from burning sugar to ketones. I do think that perhaps this was a natural state that we probably entered in the winter as cavemen. But I am not sure we were meant to stay in that state.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also want to add something to this. @Captain Obvious

It is good that you are making an effort to get more calories.

Consider the fact that we need calories and to introduce natural chemicals into our bodies in order to regenerate, our cells, organs, and brain, and heart, as well as muscles. You being a tall man, and walking 5-10 miles per day. You need lots of nutrients to regenerate properly. Also the more muscle you build the more calories you will burn. So taking in extra nutrients will not necessarily make you gain weight, but help form muscles which will lead to more weight loss. We need proper nutrients like protein, potassium and magnesium, and so on. These all create chemical reactions in our bodies that play vital roles and help us to regenerate and give us energy. You can introduce low calorie foods that will not gain you weight. If you are not hungry and it is hard to eat. You could try juicing or having a blended drink like a kale shake. Kale shakes are not for everyone but they do pack the nutrients. You can even blend nuts into them for more protein. Also there are salads and you can put cheese and boiled eggs and nuts in them. Those are low calories too. For a man your size and with your activity level you may not be getting enough calories. You are in the weight loss process, and that is really good that you are doing that. But once you lose more weight you will have to be careful because once your weight is gone you will start burning your stores.

Water is also very important. Just some thoughts.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (08-05-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I also want to add something to this. @Captain Obvious

It is good that you are making an effort to get more calories.

Consider the fact that we need calories and to introduce natural chemicals into our bodies in order to regenerate, our cells, organs, and brain, and heart, as well as muscles. You being a tall man, and walking 5-10 miles per day. You need lots of nutrients to regenerate properly. Also the more muscle you build the more calories you will burn. So taking in extra nutrients will not necessarily make you gain weight, but help form muscles which will lead to more weight loss. We need proper nutrients like protein, potassium and magnesium, and so on. These all create chemical reactions in our bodies that play vital roles and help us to regenerate and give us energy. You can introduce low calorie foods that will not gain you weight. If you are not hungry and it is hard to eat. You could try juicing or having a blended drink like a kale shake. Kale shakes are not for everyone but they do pack the nutrients. You can even blend nuts into them for more protein. Also there are salads and you can put cheese and boiled eggs and nuts in them. Those are low calories too. For a man your size and with your activity level you may not be getting enough calories. You are in the weight loss process, and that is really good that you are doing that. But once you lose more weight you will have to be careful because once your weight is gone you will start burning your stores.

Water is also very important. Just some thoughts.
    I'm doing a lot of that. The hospital I work at has a good cafeteria so I get a mix of stuff. Sometimes just deli turkey, or eggs, veggies, tuna salad.

I do drink a lot of water too.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (08-06-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    I'm doing a lot of that. The hospital I work at has a good cafeteria so I get a mix of stuff. Sometimes just deli turkey, or eggs, veggies, tuna salad.

I do drink a lot of water too.
    That is awesome. You must feel so good though dropping 85 lbs, that is so wonderful. You probably feel like you could fly. I am happiest when I weigh the least. But I am the only one who is happy when I way less. My family likes to see me a little bit chunky or they freak out. But I have gained a few too many pounds right now. Like you said welcome to middle age. LoL

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (08-06-2019)