Thread: Lecture: Supervolcanoes in the Pacific Northwest

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lecture: Supervolcanoes in the Pacific Northwest

If anyone is interested in geology this guy does some amazing lectures. He also has some short vids that aired on PBS all very awesome. I will post one of the lectures and one of his PBS short episodes. Here is a link to his website that has all of his videos. http://www.nickzentner.com/

Here is a lecture on Supervolcanoes in the Pacific Northwest

Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 06-16-2019 at 03:49 AM.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is one of his PBS short vids. Episode 1.

I am from the Tricities, Washington, so I have a particular interest in some of these as I am familiar with and have studied the geology for many years. Noticing much of what he talks about in his lectures.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a picture of me hiking on one of these ridges, overlooking the Tricities. I am wearing my awesome back pack! :) It is true that there are river stones on the tops of these ridges. I have also seen petrified wood, and granite. The Ttricities is built on top of old basalt lava flows that are three miles deep. These formed when fissures opened up in the ground, and Lava came up through them.

In the pic you can see I am at the top of a ridge. The land below has been a massive lake many times in the past. Millions of years ago it was a lake. During the ice age we had the Missoula floods, and that filled the basin with water once again. The reason that the tricities is called the Columbia basin, is that the weight of the 3 miles deep of basalt weighed it down, and depressed the land. In person when you drive towards the hills there are several steppes where the roads go up and down. This is because as the lake receded new shores were formed, or as new floods came in new shores and lake levels were formed.

I find it so interesting to know these things about our planet. I mean most people just live out their lives involved in every day dramas, not even knowing that they are living on top of such an amazing geological story. I mean we all know about the famous places. But what about the places that we live? Our own geologies are just as amazing. This earth that we live on is not what we have made it. When you know the truth of geological time, you realize we don't own anything.

Pic 1 is me and the tricities below, pic 2 I included because it shows how the hills go up in steppes, those are the old shore lines. Pic 3 is a panoramic just to get a broad idea of the basin. I know it does not look like much now, but at one time it would have been dynamic. There would have been times where it had Hawaii like basalt flows, times of floods, and epic catastrophes.

DSC00206.jpg

DSC00191.jpg

DSC00181.jpg
    Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 06-18-2019 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched several of Nick's lectures, this one by far was one of the best. It is so interesting. It does not matter where you live. If you are interested in Geology at all you will really like this lecture.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a really good link that talks about the floods and the basalt flows. The first vid is really good it shows the lava flows pretty well. http://www.hugefloods.com/Basalt.html

I must admit without being there in person it is difficult to even imagine how deep these basalt flows really are. Think about this they are three miles deep. Some clouds in the sky are near that height. https://zippyfacts.com/how-high-up-i...ighest-clouds/ That does help to visualize the depth of these basalt flows. These basalt flows were much like the Hawaii flows but on a much larger scale. These came forth from giant fissures that opened up in the earth.

This is one half of one layer, the top half was eroded by the floods.

floods.jpg

Here is a distant picture of some of the basalt layers, something to note is two layers equal one layer it happens when they cool.

flood2.jpg

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These fissures opening in the earth are not the only source for lava either. Several volcanoes also erupted and spread massive layers. One we know of is the Goat Rocks Volcano, https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2016AM/we...per287317.html that made flows like this.

DSC_0021_1.jpg

Here is a good link that has pics of it. http://www.willhiteweb.com/washingto...wpoint_360.htm

Here is a video, it is really choppy but it does show some of the lava flows from The Goat Volcano. This flow is called the Pallisades. I have seen it myself in person it is magnificent, words or pictures or even videos cannot do it justice. In person it is breathtaking. It is even more breathtaking when you know it was produced from one lava flow. It is off of white pass.