Thread: Nevada Poised To Become 15th State To Ditch Electoral College

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nevada Poised To Become 15th State To Ditch Electoral College

I am not a fan of the electoral college. I know that many people are and they have their reasons. But I am a firm believer that every single vote should be counted. This story sparked my interest.

See more at the link https://www.npr.org/2019/05/22/72561...ctoral-college

Excerpt:

President Hillary Clinton?

That would have been the result of the 2016 presidential election if the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact were in effect.

With a state Senate vote Tuesday, Nevada is close to becoming the latest state to sidestep the Electoral College when it comes to electing presidents.

According to the National Popular Vote organization, which oversees efforts to persuade states to join the compact, 14 states and the District of Columbia have agreed to pledge their 189 electors to the winner of the national popular vote regardless of which candidate won the state. Nevada, with its six electoral votes, would bring the total to 195. Once 270 electors are pledged, the compact would kick in.

The effort is part of a national movement to neuter the Electoral College and give more weight to the popular vote. Democrats in particular have been stung by the Electoral College, which effectively gives disproportional voting power to smaller, rural states that tend to vote Republican. In addition to President Trump, George W. Bush also won the White House without winning the popular vote.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Checkerboard Strangler (05-23-2019), Gamewell45 (05-23-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might be mistaken but I think it might be more than 15 states and 189 points at this time.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Checkerboard Strangler For This Useful Post:

Gamewell45 (05-24-2019), Just AnotherPerson (05-28-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I am not a fan of the electoral college. I know that many people are and they have their reasons. But I am a firm believer that every single vote should be counted. This story sparked my interest.

See more at the link https://www.npr.org/2019/05/22/72561...ctoral-college

Excerpt:

President Hillary Clinton?

That would have been the result of the 2016 presidential election — if the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact were in effect.

With a state Senate vote Tuesday, Nevada is close to becoming the latest state to sidestep the Electoral College when it comes to electing presidents.

According to the National Popular Vote organization, which oversees efforts to persuade states to join the compact, 14 states and the District of Columbia have agreed to pledge their 189 electors to the winner of the national popular vote — regardless of which candidate won the state. Nevada, with its six electoral votes, would bring the total to 195. Once 270 electors are pledged, the compact would kick in.

The effort is part of a national movement to neuter the Electoral College and give more weight to the popular vote. Democrats in particular have been stung by the Electoral College, which effectively gives disproportional voting power to smaller, rural states that tend to vote Republican. In addition to President Trump, George W. Bush also won the White House without winning the popular vote.
    The only issue I see with the NPV is that theoretically you could have a dozen or so populous states calling the shots thus rendering the smaller states to a status of irrelevance regardless of how they vote. I'm not sure if that would be in the best interests of the country. Our founding fathers developed this system with the hopes that it would be a fair one that all Americans could embrace and IMO it's worked since the founding of our country. To introduce change at this juncture with the country being so polarized as it is, could possibly increase the rift that already exists which might benefit extremists on both sides. I think that is the last thing that most Americans want at this stage.
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-28-2019)

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamewell45 View Post
    The only issue I see with the NPV is that theoretically you could have a dozen or so populous states calling the shots thus rendering the smaller states to a status of irrelevance regardless of how they vote. I'm not sure if that would be in the best interests of the country. Our founding fathers developed this system with the hopes that it would be a fair one that all Americans could embrace and IMO it's worked since the founding of our country. To introduce change at this juncture with the country being so polarized as it is, could possibly increase the rift that already exists which might benefit extremists on both sides. I think that is the last thing that most Americans want at this stage.

@Gamewell45 I can certainly respect your opinion even though I don't fully understand it. I want to explain in detail what I mean. please don't take it the wrong way. I am often misunderstood. I want to express my view in a respectful manner.

The thing is that the voting system we have is rigged, and it is rigged in favor of the highest bidder. They rig it with gerrymandering. They can work it to make the votes turn out in their desired favor.

The way I see it, is that we are no longer governed by the guiding principles of our forefathers as we once were. Instead our governance is guided by the highest donor. It is the wealthy who call the shots, while it is the regular people who give and sacrifice everything, thereby earning the right to stand on this soil. Earning the right for their voices to be heard. But rather than the voices of the people being heard, it is the voices of the 1% that drown out the rest of us.

The people of this nation have guiding principles, at least most of us do. We care about what is right, and what is just, we care about fairness. We care about our neighbor. We care about others. We care about our nation. But the one percent, they only care about the bottom line, and what is in it for them. They manipulate the system to work in their favor, and that favor is always to have more. That more is gained upon the backs of the people of this nation. It is not the 1% who pays the price, or earns it fairly. It is through us that they take it.

I have heard others speak of Mob rule. They say if each vote was counted then cities who have more people would call all the shots. But that MOB, is the people of this nation.

These are the people who without them, this nation could not be. The people who work hard, and give their lives to this nation. There are many ways that a person serves their country. Some lay their lives on the line, in the line of duty, others are the glue that holds this nation together, the oil that makes it move. The people give their blood, sweat, and tears, and live their lives out on this soil. We work, and toil, and strive to be our best selves. We support the economy though our every day lives. We pay near 60 percent of our earnings in taxes in one form or another. We are expected to take a bullet for our nation if need be. From the time that we are a small child, we stand and pledge allegiance to our flag.

We are the people, the people are this nation.

Without us this nation could not be as it is. If there are more people in a city, then why should their voices not be counted? Why should a smaller state with less peoples voices count more? It is unjust, and unfair. Every single voice should count, because we are the people.

The founders loathed Democracy. Many of them did not feel that the people were wise enough to make the decisions so they put people in charge to make those decisions for us. I am not arguing the wisdom of the founding fathers. They were wise indeed. But we do not live in the same world that we lived in back then. People do not govern on righteousness and love of nation. There is no longer a guiding light, that light has gone out. Rather they govern on greed, and power. The system we live in now is not the same as the system that our forefathers lived in.

That system may have worked during a different time where this nation was governed on principle, and honor, and dignity, and wisdom, and truth. But we are no longer governed by such a just system as we once had. If the system is no longer the same, then should we not change how we vote, based on our new system? If we don't then we will continue to be governed by the greedy. But if we make the change then we may very well return to the ideal that the founders once had for this great nation.

The people are not motivated by power and greed. When we cast our vote it is for the betterment of our nation, not the betterment of our bank account. This is supposed to be a nation by the people for the people, not by the corporations for the corporations. How will we ever return our nation to its former glory or be guided by principle, when the 1% are the ones guiding this nation? We will fall to ruin, a bit more every single year.

This last election that we had is proof that the system needs to change with the times. The system may have worked in a time long ago when we were guided by something higher than ourselves, and ours ideals were far reaching. But now our system is guided by greed, no longer far reaching. They only look to this moments prosperity, rather than the far reaching prosperity of future generations. It has come to the point that we even use war as means to better our economy. We trade the blood of children for our prosperity. These are not the guiding light principles that our forefathers had in mind when they laid the foundations for our nation.

The cornerstone has been taken from the wall, it has been kicked and trampled upon, and lay in ruins, and spat upon by those who would violate the principles of our nation. That cornerstone is crumbling, and tattered. When the cornerstone is destroyed the whole foundation is subject to ruin. What do you do when the cornerstone has been destroyed? You do what all people do when something is destroyed, you start over. You make plans to build again. You lay a new cornerstone. You make a proper foundation in which to build upon.

How can we lay a proper cornerstone if things remain the same? The foundation is broken. Should we not be guided by the principles of the founding fathers, rather than the formalities? We don't live in the same time period. Of course things will be different than they were before. Though we may not have the same exact system, we can certainly have the same principles. These principles transcend time. These principles transcend system. It is not the rules that are the foundation, it is the principles. We should not mistake one for the other. It would be akin to standing on the bank of river and wanting to get to the other shore. There were several ways that we could cross, but because of a strong held notion, we were not willing to hear about any way except the one we knew of. But we forget, that what is important is reaching the other shore, not how we got there. What good is it to adhere to doctrines if they are not executed with the correct intent?

What good is it to build a bridge if I ignore the principles that hold the bridge together? I can build it, it may look ok, but it will not stand.

When making a new cornerstone, it is not the shape of the building that matters. What matters are the ingredients for the cornerstone. You must know the proper ratio to cast that stone. We don't get caught up thinking I will only build a square building, we all know a building can be any shape. What matters is that we build it right, it needs to be straight and true. A building can be livable and serve its purpose no matter its shape. But if we don't have the proper ratio, and it does not have a proper foundation, it is then that the building cannot stand.

We should keep our eye on the true guiding light, not the formalities. We should not be mistaken. If we are then all is lost.
    Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 05-30-2019 at 05:05 AM.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Just AnotherPerson Wow, you did an amazing job with your response. I can see that you put in a lot of time, effort and research into your post. Your arguments for your position are very compelling and I hope everyone in here takes the time to read and digest them.

When the country was first formed in 1789, the founders needed to find an equitable way of conducting elections in this country which were fair and representative of the then population. Big states, like NY, Pa, Virginia, etc had a bulk of the population residing in them. The biggest fear from the smaller states, Delaware, Maryland, Maine, etc was that the larger states, going under a democratic system would basically have the determination on election issues for President, thus shoving the smaller states to the side with no real voice in what transpired. So the founding fathers sat down and agonized over how to come to an arrangement that every state would find acceptable; hence we became a republic as opposed to a democracy.

All elections for Senate at the federal level in this country are carried out at the state level; in other words, if you are running for Senate in NY, only NY residents can vote in the election; just as elections for congress, voting is limited to those living in the geographic area. Presidential elections are carried out the same way, on the state level. If you live in NY, you cannot go to NJ and vote for President from that state; again because of the electoral system.

Big states such as NY, California, Texas, Florida, etc have more electoral votes due to a larger population which IMO is only fair. Smaller states such as Montana, Nebraska, Hawaii, etc have the minimum number of electoral votes (based on members in congress) again which is only fair since they have a relatively small population. There needs to be balance in the system; that was one of the reasons this country has stayed together over the 200+ years we've been in existence.

It also serves as a buffer between the presidency and the population during elections; it also prevents a tyrant from instilling fear or manipulating public opinion in order to win the presidency. Changing from electoral college to plurality vote can be done but by change to the constitution, a most difficult task to say the least; states can change the way the voting in that state is done result-wise. Most states is winner take all, however there are a couple of states where the vote is not winner take all (Nebraska and Maine). It might be possible to modify the laws in other states should they so choose to determine how the systems will work. Tough to do but not impossible.

I think the system still works, I can agree that perhaps we need some fine tuning to make things more equitable when it comes to presidential elections but that remains the purview of the states themselves.

Good posting on your part.
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-31-2019)