Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadcasters Club - why closed?

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broadcasters Club - why closed?

Well I guess that thread didn't live very long.
    I don't know if I qualify as a broadcaster still but I have an FCC First Class ticket and I used to be a news camera guy.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Checkerboard Strangler For This Useful Post:

Cornwall (06-25-2019), Dr. Who (04-20-2019), Gamewell45 (04-22-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not closed; where did you get that idea from?
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Cornwall (06-25-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler View Post
    Well I guess that thread didn't live very long.
    I don't know if I qualify as a broadcaster still but I have an FCC First Class ticket and I used to be a news camera guy.
    Anyone who worked in the broadcast industry or who has an interest in it is more then welcome to participate in the sub forum. Just that it's a new sub forum here and we are hoping to attract people from the industry here.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few days ago the screen said Thread Closed. Perhaps it was a software glitch.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well either way, welcome to the Broadcasters sub-forum! I'm a retired broadcaster (Radio/Television Engineer) and figured it would be nice to see if we can attract some broadcasters here to talk about anything broadcast related.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Checkerboard Strangler (04-22-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamewell45 View Post
    Well either way, welcome to the Broadcasters sub-forum! I'm a retired broadcaster (Radio/Television Engineer) and figured it would be nice to see if we can attract some broadcasters here to talk about anything broadcast related.
    I was a radio station engineer for a very brief period because it was a one man band outfit (deejay AND engineering) but discovered it was a route to sure starvation, thus I went back to school and became a film editor instead.
    But I wound up doing tons of freelance stringer news camera work, so hopefully that qualifies me, maybe.

FCC First Class Radiotelephone Operator Permit P-1-16-37875 issued June 1979.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a radio station engineer for a very brief period because it was a one man band outfit (deejay AND engineering) but discovered it was a route to sure starvation, thus I went back to school and became a film editor instead.
    But I wound up doing tons of freelance stringer news camera work, so hopefully that qualifies me, maybe.

FCC First Class Radiotelephone Operator Permit P-1-16-37875 issued June 1979.

LOL you are definitely qualified.

I worked in commercial radio for the first 8 years of my 36+ years in broadcasting as an engineer (Studio/field/transmitter). Of course this is back in the days when major market AM stations still had large staffs of engineers to handle transmitter and studio operations in addition to field ops as well. We were paid pretty well for what we did (God bless NABET) since we got union scale and the working conditions were excellent. Eventually was moved into television operations for the remainder of my working career there after the sale of the radio division where I spent it as a technical director and videotape operator. Only job I ever held out of college and for me it wasn't work since I loved what I was doing so I tell everyone that i've never worked a day in my life.

Was your freelance work with a camera video or actual film? When I got hired back in 1979 film was on its way out and video was king of the roost. Now digital based platform is what they use but I'm sure you already know that.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Checkerboard Strangler (04-24-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that I think about it, you were probably looking at the welcome thread which is closed.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamewell45 View Post
    LOL you are definitely qualified.

I worked in commercial radio for the first 8 years of my 36+ years in broadcasting as an engineer (Studio/field/transmitter). Of course this is back in the days when major market AM stations still had large staffs of engineers to handle transmitter and studio operations in addition to field ops as well. We were paid pretty well for what we did (God bless NABET) since we got union scale and the working conditions were excellent. Eventually was moved into television operations for the remainder of my working career there after the sale of the radio division where I spent it as a technical director and videotape operator. Only job I ever held out of college and for me it wasn't work since I loved what I was doing so I tell everyone that i've never worked a day in my life.

Was your freelance work with a camera video or actual film? When I got hired back in 1979 film was on its way out and video was king of the roost. Now digital based platform is what they use but I'm sure you already know that.
    ---I'll try to be brief:
    They trained us heavily in story technique first, possibly because the industry was in flux already but they started us on Magnasync Moviola machines, which I hated, then moved us to FLATBED editors (Steenbeck, KEM) so ALL film at the beginning. I liked the KEM flatbeds!

Now mind you 2-inch QUAD was still king (but 1-inch Type C was up and coming) so for videotape editing we trained on 3/4 inch Umatic systems but we had a CMX setup and they were really just interested in teaching us how to run a CMX system, the choice of deck would be up to whoever we worked for of course, and the training was offline in methodology first, then later online.
    For online they just had a single AMPEX VPR-6 and they tied the U-matics to it because it was a school and the point was to just train us to do an online auto-assemble and get the gist of it.

Film cameras were all Bolex H16 and Eclair NPR, but we barely shot anything and to be honest, they kept stressing the "Sunny 16" rule more than anything else LOL.

The TV cameras we had at the school were Hitachi...ummmm clawing my brain...Hitachi F41??? I am not sure I remember except they were old tired crap but good enough for school purposes. We either hooked them up to the JVC switcher, the Panasonic "suitcase" switcher or a Sony VO-3800 Umatic portable for field production.

Annnnnnnnd of course the moment I got out of school everything was already changing so fast, you know the rest.
    And it still is.

There's much more but I don't want to churn out a long boring wall of word salad text.
    All I can say is, I sure loved the switch to digital cine.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ---I'll try to be brief:
    They trained us heavily in story technique first, possibly because the industry was in flux already but they started us on Magnasync Moviola machines, which I hated, then moved us to FLATBED editors (Steenbeck, KEM) so ALL film at the beginning. I liked the KEM flatbeds!

Now mind you 2-inch QUAD was still king (but 1-inch Type C was up and coming) so for videotape editing we trained on 3/4 inch Umatic systems but we had a CMX setup and they were really just interested in teaching us how to run a CMX system, the choice of deck would be up to whoever we worked for of course, and the training was offline in methodology first, then later online.
    For online they just had a single AMPEX VPR-6 and they tied the U-matics to it because it was a school and the point was to just train us to do an online auto-assemble and get the gist of it.

Film cameras were all Bolex H16 and Eclair NPR, but we barely shot anything and to be honest, they kept stressing the "Sunny 16" rule more than anything else LOL.

The TV cameras we had at the school were Hitachi...ummmm clawing my brain...Hitachi F41??? I am not sure I remember except they were old tired crap but good enough for school purposes. We either hooked them up to the JVC switcher, the Panasonic "suitcase" switcher or a Sony VO-3800 Umatic portable for field production.

Annnnnnnnd of course the moment I got out of school everything was already changing so fast, you know the rest.
    And it still is.

There's much more but I don't want to churn out a long boring wall of word salad text.
    All I can say is, I sure loved the switch to digital cine.
    Upon my transfer to television operations, they sent myself and approximately 65 other radio engineers off to "dumb dumb" school to teach us everything about television they could. I didn't even own a tv in those days; lots of radios but no tv lol. We were in class from 8-12noon, lunch from 12noon to 1pm. From 1pm-4pm we were supposed to study; well I can say that most of our study periods were held in Hurley's Bar Anyhow my scores in school were high enough where they decided t have me perform Tech Director duties at the outset; then they cut 4 positions but since I had seniority they couldn't lay me off so off to videotape land I went and stayed until retirement beckoned.

Most of the equipment initially was 1inch Sony BVH 1000's; quads were on the way out and the latest fad was the Panasonic M-2's (which made great boat anchors btw) Commercials were still being fed up using RCA TCR-100's. Telecine was a thing of the past. When I retired we were a tapeless format; everything was digital platform based.