Thread: Trump reverses policy, allows lawsuits against businesses in Cuba

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trump reverses policy, allows lawsuits against businesses in Cuba

Here we go Cuba, it's your turn. The Trump Regime is really taking things to extreme levels. What really got me in this article is where Pompeo said, "Cozying up to Cuban dictators will always be a black mark on this great nation’s long record of defending human rights.” LoL you mean like our human rights in Yemen, and Syria, and Afghanistan. Good lord oh mighty. Could any statement be so opposite of the truth? It is like they say one thing and do another. They are not fooling anyone. We care so much about human rights that Trump vetoed the Yemen resolution so we can continue to starve 20 million people in Yemen. The word hypocrisy doesn't even seem strong enough right now.

See more at the link https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...nesses-in-cuba

Excerpt:

The Trump administration announced Wednesday it will allow U.S. citizens to sue foreign businesses using property seized during the 1959 Cuban revolution, reversing two decades of policy as it escalates pressure on the communist island nation.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the administration will not renew a prohibition on lawsuits in a decision that also sets up a showdown with European nations and other allies whose companies do business in Cuba.

“Sadly, Cuba’s most prominent export these days is not cigars or rum. It’s oppression,” Pompeo said during brief remarks at the State Department. “Detente with the regime has failed. Cozying up to Cuban dictators will always be a black mark on this great nation’s long record of defending human rights.”

The administration will begin enforcing a provision in the 1996 Helms-Burton Act that allows Americans whose property was confiscated by former Cuban President Fidel Castro’s government to sue companies using that property.
    Past presidents have waived that section of the law due to concern that a flurry of lawsuits could spark tensions with allies and discourage Havana from adopting democratic reforms.

Pompeo said Americans can begin filing lawsuits against foreign firms on May 2. U.S. officials said no exceptions will be made for any companies.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This while the newly elected Cuban goverment IS already experimenting with increased efforts with capitalism.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Checkerboard Strangler For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (04-20-2019), jet57 (04-20-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Here we go Cuba, it's your turn. The Trump Regime is really taking things to extreme levels. What really got me in this article is where Pompeo said, "Cozying up to Cuban dictators will always be a black mark on this great nation’s long record of defending human rights.” LoL you mean like our human rights in Yemen, and Syria, and Afghanistan. Good lord oh mighty. Could any statement be so opposite of the truth? It is like they say one thing and do another. They are not fooling anyone. We care so much about human rights that Trump vetoed the Yemen resolution so we can continue to starve 20 million people in Yemen. The word hypocrisy doesn't even seem strong enough right now.

See more at the link https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...nesses-in-cuba

Excerpt:

The Trump administration announced Wednesday it will allow U.S. citizens to sue foreign businesses using property seized during the 1959 Cuban revolution, reversing two decades of policy as it escalates pressure on the communist island nation.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the administration will not renew a prohibition on lawsuits in a decision that also sets up a showdown with European nations and other allies whose companies do business in Cuba.

“Sadly, Cuba’s most prominent export these days is not cigars or rum. It’s oppression,” Pompeo said during brief remarks at the State Department. “Detente with the regime has failed. Cozying up to Cuban dictators will always be a black mark on this great nation’s long record of defending human rights.”

The administration will begin enforcing a provision in the 1996 Helms-Burton Act that allows Americans whose property was confiscated by former Cuban President Fidel Castro’s government to sue companies using that property.
    Past presidents have waived that section of the law due to concern that a flurry of lawsuits could spark tensions with allies and discourage Havana from adopting democratic reforms.

Pompeo said Americans can begin filing lawsuits against foreign firms on May 2. U.S. officials said no exceptions will be made for any companies.
    What bothers me the most about this one, is the necessity for Trump to fan the flames of a new cold war. I think he does it because it's easy and makes him seem tough... Meanwhile, all Cuban baseball players seem to welcome.

We need a big citizens group to go over there reverse all of Trump's nonsense. Cuba is a gold mine waiting to be opened.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jet57 For This Useful Post:

Gamewell45 (04-21-2019), Just AnotherPerson (04-24-2019)

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    What bothers me the most about this one, is the necessity for Trump to fan the flames of a new cold war. I think he does it because it's easy and makes him seem tough... Meanwhile, all Cuban baseball players seem to welcome.

We need a big citizens group to go over there reverse all of Trump's nonsense. Cuba is a gold mine waiting to be opened.
    I was really happy when Obama ended our feud with Cuba and the people of Cuba were too.https://www.newsweek.com/cuba-and-us...lations-292838 It is a shame what Trump is doing. He is making enemies with the world except for his BFF MBS. Unfriend the friendlies and befriend the real terrorists. It is a shame all the way around.

It seems that Trump worked to undo so many things that were actually for the benefit of not just the USA but the whole world. He is throwing the world into chaos if you will. I mean he cancelled our nuclear deal with Russia and Iran. I mean come on! This is not a man trying to make peace. He is a war lord. Now he wants to do regime change in Venezuela. This guy is a piece of work. He is forcing our nation to stay involved in starving 20 million Yemenis, even against the vote of Congress. Not to mention that Moon of South Korea was making real progress with peace with the North, and Trump threw that in the trash too...….. I don't understand the appeal of this trump character by anyone. He is responsible for mass suffering and deaths around the world. That is not hyperbole either. I mean he dropped more bombs in his first 9 months in office than Obamas entire 8 year in office, it is despicable.

Welp if that wasn't a rant I don't know what is. LoL

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

jet57 (04-28-2019)