Thread: A matter of Cosmic discussion

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A matter of Cosmic discussion

I wanted to start a thread where we could discuss all things space. A place where we could hash out the theories, and include our own if we wish. There are no rules, there are no wrongs, and no space subjects off limits. I will kick it off.

So I have this little peeve about the word space time. To me time is not real, so I feel that is an erroneous thing to say. Clocks and time are something that we invented to bring order to our lives, and so we could all be in sync. And, if space time has nothing to do with actual time, then why call it space time? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime

Then we have time.
    Excerpt: Time is the indefinite continued progress of existence and events that occur in apparently irreversible succession through the past, in the present, and the future. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time

To most peoples understanding, time is a succession of events that flow forward into the future that cannot be stopped, it is a constant. My understanding of time is quite different. I see it as no time. I see all events that have ever happened as existing here and now in this one point that we call now. I see every event that will ever happen in the future as being here in this one point that we call now. The past and the present and the future all existing at the same point, and that is here.

Let us take a flower seed for example. Imagine you are holding the seed of a flower in your hand. That will be this point that we call here and now. But this seed did not just appear here out of no where. That seed contains within it all of the flowers of the past. Without them the seed could not exists. The seed contains within it all of the past, of all flowers that have ever been. The seed is a continuation of the seeds of the past. When you look at the seed in your hand you are quite literally seeing the past. Like wise, the future flowers that will come into being exist right now in your hand inside of that very seed. Their existence is not in some distant time, it is here and now. I suppose this is quite quantum, but it does not take much investigation to see it. The seed has within it the potential for what the future will be. You know that within that seed exists flowers. Take that seed and plant it, it will grow and flowers will bloom, and new flowers will be born and new seeds will be born. But those future moments of flowers already existed in the very seed you hold in your hand in this moment. The entire past also exists there.

Another example of past present and future and time can be given. Imagine that you have a craving for something to eat. You are thinking about it for several days. Lets say for example it is a nice steak. For several days you imagined eating that steak. You knew for sure that you will make it happen no matter what. Finally the day comes, you are sitting there with that steak on your plate in the here and now. You might forget the previous days random thoughts you had about the steak. You will just be here and now enjoying that steak. But if you had recorded your thoughts and had a rewind button you could use to review the succession of events that lead to the steak on your plate. You would see that, the steak was already on your plate in the past. If it were not for the very first thought of eating steak, this moment of you eating that steak could not exist. The future already existed in the present moment where you first had the idea of steak. From that first thought you began to crave it and then contemplate it often. Likewise if you had never had that steak before in the past and developed a liking for it then the future event of craving would never had come into existence.

This is my break down of time. To me time is irrelevant except for order and organization. But in reality it is not something that is real. So here is how space time is described In physics, spacetime is any mathematical model that fuses the three dimensions of space and the one dimension of time into a single four-dimensional continuum. Perhaps my thoughts are delving into the realm of quantum physics. I understand the need to call it something and space time works, and is universal and can be understood by all. But I find it necessary to break it down. But it still gets me when I hear the word space time, much like a crooked frame on the wall.

I understand that this explanation seems to steer away from the topic space, but in order to explain my aversion to the word space time, it was necessary. There are no rules.

I think a more appropriate name for space time, would be space fabric continuum.
    Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 04-17-2019 at 10:43 PM.

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also want to discuss black holes, and the big bang. I would also be interested in hearing other peoples ideas on this as well. I have read many sutras and the Buddha often spoke of contractions and expansions of the universe. This came to mind when contemplating the expansion of the universe that is happening now. https://www.space.com/35459-universe...-constant.html I thought of this during a discussion about black holes. A black hole is an eating machine. Anything that gets near it does not escape being sucked into its dense gravitational pull. The black hole eats indiscriminately. But just because something like a planet or a sun got sucked into a black hole does not mean that it is lost. A black hole contains within it the stuff of the universe. In a way it is like a seed of life.

No matter is ever lost, it is in constant transformation from one form to another.

What if the reason for our expansion has something to do with us being sucked towards huge black holes. I am not saying this because it is a theory I believe in, but just discussing all possibilities for the sake of interesting thought. What if we get sucked into black holes, and once the black holes have eaten all of the matter, then they start to attract each other, and once they all combine they go critical and then we get another big bang. And since it contains within it all of the matter in the universe it seeds the universe again.

Not to mention the multiverse theory....

Another thought, if we are currently in an expansion, how can we be sure? Could we really be in a contraction? Or does a contraction and expansion occur simultaneously kind of like my description of time? Could it be that even though we are expanding we are also contracting back towards a big bang all over again? Very interesting ideas.