Thread: Paris' historic Notre-Dame Cathedral hit by fire

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beevee View Post
    No. I worked in between Westminster Abbey and Westminster Cathedral. The Cathedral is set back off the road but has a line of shops in front and on each side going in both directions. The first is a McDonalds which kind of reduced my enthusiasm for viewing it. A shame really, when the local administration choose to encourage tourism by using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. I haven't been there for 28 years, so I hope they gave McDonalds the boot.

I think I am confusing you with details you probably don't want. So, if you were to visit London, you wouldn't want to know that Buckingham Palace, Downing Street, Trafalgar Square and The Houses of Parliament are all in close proximity as well as Big Ben and the statue of Eros in Piccadilly.
    Well even if I don't comprehend completely since I haven't been there. I still really like to hear about it. I like the details. It paints a picture of a time and a place and your experience. I think it is wonderful.

And, that McDonalds talk about ruining it! That is pretty lame. Like they needed a McDonalds to get people to come see the churches LoL. What a lame excuse for corporate graffiti in a sanctified place.

I have never heard of Westminster Cathedral, even I am surprised by that. Now that I know that, it is making more sense. :) I looked it up. Westminster cathedral is really really awesome inside. I looked it up on google earth too, wow all of the buildings around there are really amazing. You are really lucky to have lived there and spent time in such an amazing place.

So it has been 28 years since you have been there. It sounds like a long time, but really it goes by in the blink of an eye. But it is amazing how much beauty and wonderful things we get to see and experience in that short time though. It is really wonderful.

I have been to Mexico a few times. They also have some fabulous churches. I went to so many of them, they were amazing, pretty epic really. But of all the churches that stand out in my memory was an abandoned church in a far off town, seemingly in the middle of nowhere. It had raised tombs above the ground. Many of them looked to be looted. The church was partially in ruins. But we went inside and when we entered that church there was only a partial roof, and a whole flock of birds took flight at once. It was an amazing experience for some reason. Just to see all of those birds take flight at once in the church out the roof with the light shinning through the roof, was something else. All of the birds were lit up and glowing from the light. It was like you could see their wings flapping in slow motion, and the amazing sound of the birds taking flight. Even though the church lay in ruins, it felt like the most holy church, and the most precious church experience that Id ever had. There was even an altar in the church with a virgin Mary statue. Perhaps some locals were keeping that up. It was really cool. If only I had pictures.
    Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 04-16-2019 at 04:04 AM.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truly tragic. All the more reason why buildings such as these need to have sprinklers installed. Not saying in this case it would have prevented the fire from spreading but in many cases would be effective in containing/extinguishing a fire. I'm basing this on all my years on the fire service.
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (04-16-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamewell45 View Post
    Truly tragic. All the more reason why buildings such as these need to have sprinklers installed. Not saying in this case it would have prevented the fire from spreading but in many cases would be effective in containing/extinguishing a fire. I'm basing this on all my years on the fire service.
    I'm willing to bet the investigation will conclude the fire started with acetylene.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beevee View Post
    I'm willing to bet the investigation will conclude the fire started with acetylene.
    That or possibly electrical in nature. Drilling though walls with unmarked cables or an accidental crossed wire that is bypassed the circuit panel. Either way We'll know soon enough.
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full