Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paris' historic Notre-Dame Cathedral hit by fire

1a.jpg

See more at the link https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartanntp

Excerpt:

PARIS, April 15 (Reuters) - A major fire broke out at the medieval Notre-Dame Cathedral in central Paris on Monday afternoon, leading firefighters to clear the area around one of the city's most visited landmarks.

Smoke could be seen billowing out from the top of the gothic cathedral, as flames lept out besides its two bell towers, a Reuters witness said.

It was not immediately clear what had caused the fire. France 2 television reported that police were treating the incident as an accident.

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can only be contained by flying water tankers, exclusive to the USA no doubt and seven hours flying time away.
    Who would have thought of that?
    No wonder Trump is the purported leader of the free world.
    Schmuck!

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beevee View Post
    It can only be contained by flying water tankers, exclusive to the USA no doubt and seven hours flying time away.
    Who would have thought of that?
    No wonder Trump is the purported leader of the free world.
    Schmuck!
    Yeah they said dropping water from the air could collapse it. It was a decent idea though. It is pretty sad to see that cathedral burn.

Excerpt:

the weight and intensity of dropping water by air would do more harm than good, potentially leading the entire structure to collapse and damaging nearby buildings. https://news.artnet.com/art-world/pa...s-fire-1517254

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must be heartbreaking for people who had an attachment to it...not being able to view it now, in the way they did before.

I worked about 300 yards from Westminster Abbey and in the summer, on hot days, a friend and I would stroll through the cloisters because it was probably 20 degrees cooler there than 20 yards away on the outside.

Such places form a special bond and it's tragic that such a place is lost to history because even when it's renovated, it will never feel the same.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Beevee For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (04-15-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must be heartbreaking for people who had an attachment to it...not being able to view it now, in the way they did before.

I worked about 300 yards from Westminster Abbey and in the summer, on hot days, a friend and I would stroll through the cloisters because it was probably 20 degrees cooler there than 20 yards away on the outside.

Such places form a special bond and it's tragic that such a place is lost to history because even when it's renovated, it will never feel the same.
    You are so right it is tragic. Not to mention that it is such an iconic cathedral, it is almost like mourning a living being. I too understand that people will be devastated especially those who had a connection to it.

That is amazing you worked near Westminster Abbey. I would have loved that. I used to live in the tri cities, in Wa State and we had our own little gothic church it was small, but I love that church. The church was in the down town area, I would go for a walk nearly every day, and my destination was always the church. I loved to walk towards down town I loved that there were old houses and massive old trees lining the streets. When me and my old man would get to the church, we would often just go sit on the steps and appreciate the beauty of it.

I love churches. They have amazing architecture meant to spark feelings of grandeur. They are places that people have gathered with their hopes, and prayers, and faith. That alone to me is powerful. There is a powerful energy there that the people who have sanctified that place have created. Not to mention, just to listen to the bells chime was an amazing experience. There were a few times where I was driving in the area and heard the bells start up and I pulled over just so I could fully take in the beauty of listening to them.

So I definitely understand this one. Here is a pic of the little church I used to walk to.

1a.jpg

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The church you visited is a lot cooler the one I visited. I looked it up for fun. I have seen it before, but wanted to revisit it since you mentioned it. Yes, I would have so loved visiting that amazing cathedral. Here is yours.

westminster-abbey-church.jpg

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. You should look up Westminster Abbey Cloisters and you will see why it's cool, not only in weather terms but in looks and architecture too.

As a matter of interest, when I walked 300 yards in the opposite direction I would be outside Westminster Cathedral. Take a look at that too.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Beevee For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (04-15-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. You should look up Westminster Abbey Cloisters and you will see why it's cool, not only in weather terms but in looks and architecture too.

As a matter of interest, when I walked 300 yards in the opposite direction I would be outside Westminster Cathedral. Take a look at that too.
    Oh wow, thank you for that. I love that. That is magnificent. That must have been wonderful to walk the cloisters. The Wikipedia says they were the center of Monastic life, so the monks could be sheltered from the wind but get sun. Wow that is absolutely magnificent. This may sound really weird but when I was a little kid, I wanted to be a nun. I was serious. I begged my mother. I have loved churches since I was small.

I appreciate that, thank you for telling me about that. So beautiful.

3476627209_5f55725c3e_z.jpg

Is this the part where you would be outside after you walked 300 yards?

cimg8904.jpg

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. I worked in between Westminster Abbey and Westminster Cathedral. The Cathedral is set back off the road but has a line of shops in front and on each side going in both directions. The first is a McDonalds which kind of reduced my enthusiasm for viewing it. A shame really, when the local administration choose to encourage tourism by using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. I haven't been there for 28 years, so I hope they gave McDonalds the boot.

I think I am confusing you with details you probably don't want. So, if you were to visit London, you wouldn't want to know that Buckingham Palace, Downing Street, Trafalgar Square and The Houses of Parliament are all in close proximity as well as Big Ben and the statue of Eros in Piccadilly.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Beevee For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (04-16-2019)