User Tag List

Thread: Is this how a religious leader should act?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this how a religious leader should act?

Australian Cardinal George Pell, one of the most senior people at the Vatican (there was even talk of him becoming the next Pope,) has been convicted in a Melbourne court of sexually assaulting two 13 year old boys. I don't know much about him, but all the older people I know say he is an extreme right-wing hypocrite, who has campaigned against homosexuality, contraception, and abortion very aggressively.

He has been accused of kiddy-fiddling in the past, but this time it is reported that he caught the boys sipping altar wine and made them have sex with him so that he wouldn't tell their parents.

It was on all the news here, but my dad (who is a barrister) says we must be careful not to judge things by what the media says. There will be an appeal against the conviction, but as the jury decision was unanimous, my dad says they will have to prove one of the following things -

The defence lawyer was inadequate
    The judge gave the jury incorrect advice
    There is new evidence supporting Pell's case.

My question is - how did a man like that get to become one of the highest leaders of any church?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to William For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (03-07-2019)

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Australian Cardinal George Pell, one of the most senior people at the Vatican (there was even talk of him becoming the next Pope,) has been convicted in a Melbourne court of sexually assaulting two 13 year old boys. I don't know much about him, but all the older people I know say he is an extreme right-wing hypocrite, who has campaigned against homosexuality, contraception, and abortion very aggressively.

He has been accused of kiddy-fiddling in the past, but this time it is reported that he caught the boys sipping altar wine and made them have sex with him so that he wouldn't tell their parents.

It was on all the news here, but my dad (who is a barrister) says we must be careful not to judge things by what the media says. There will be an appeal against the conviction, but as the jury decision was unanimous, my dad says they will have to prove one of the following things -

The defence lawyer was inadequate
    The judge gave the jury incorrect advice
    There is new evidence supporting Pell's case.

My question is - how did a man like that get to become one of the highest leaders of any church?
    It seems to me that there are too many instances of this for it to be just a fluke. I am not sure why this kind of thing is so prevalent, but it is a serious issue. I have some other thoughts on the possibilities but they are very controversial. I do know that the church is Roman and this kind of thing goes way back into roman history. If you study about the Spartans, you will find that this kind of behavior was simply the norm. Is it possible that this behavior was sown into the psyche and the seeds have yet to die out, and they are being passed on from one person to the next? I don't know. But I think it may be possible. If many of the children are abused and then some of them grow up and serve in the church, and some of them become offenders themselves. I don't know if there any truth at all to what I just said here. It is just a thought. I like to try and look at all possibilities. Hopefully it does not offend anyone. I am not speaking about all churches. Just the bad apples.

It is really a sad subject for sure.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Churches in general, have been meccas for pedophiles, however the RC church is the largest in the world and has a significant hierarchy. That's part 1. Part 2 is the fact that for a very long time those abused by priests were too ashamed to mention it and when they did, the Church was more concerned with sweeping these incidents under the rug, so as to protect the reputation of their brand than in protecting children. The truth is that the Church hierarchy is a political organization and once politics is a factor, there is corruption. Part 3 is the fact that the Church does not allow priests to marry (they used to but then they found it too expensive to take care of the families of the priests so they changed the rules). In doing so they narrowed their pool of potential priests to those who are truly selfless and to those with different sexual predilections. There are a lot of gay priests (not pedophiles). There are also a lot of pedophilic predators who know that a career in the Church provides easy pickings. Those who play politics well, work their way up in the hierarchy who are probably also infiltrated with pedophiles.

Perhaps you find this shocking, but you shouldn't - look at the pedo rings operating in British political circles. All those very posh British 'public' schools were infested with pedos and created new pedophiles who went on to become politicians, priests and captains of industry.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.” Mahatma Gandhi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (03-08-2019)

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Churches in general, have been meccas for pedophiles, however the RC church is the largest in the world and has a significant hierarchy. That's part 1. Part 2 is the fact that for a very long time those abused by priests were too ashamed to mention it and when they did, the Church was more concerned with sweeping these incidents under the rug, so as to protect the reputation of their brand than in protecting children. The truth is that the Church hierarchy is a political organization and once politics is a factor, there is corruption. Part 3 is the fact that the Church does not allow priests to marry (they used to but then they found it too expensive to take care of the families of the priests so they changed the rules). In doing so they narrowed their pool of potential priests to those who are truly selfless and to those with different sexual predilections. There are a lot of gay priests (not pedophiles). There are also a lot of pedophilic predators who know that a career in the Church provides easy pickings. Those who play politics well, work their way up in the hierarchy who are probably also infiltrated with pedophiles.

Perhaps you find this shocking, but you shouldn't - look at the pedo rings operating in British political circles. All those very posh British 'public' schools were infested with pedos and created new pedophiles who went on to become politicians, priests and captains of industry.
    The whole thing is just so sad beyond all words.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (03-08-2019)