User Tag List

Thread: F.B.I. Opened Inquiry Into Whether Trump Was Secretly Working on Behalf of Russia

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F.B.I. Opened Inquiry Into Whether Trump Was Secretly Working on Behalf of Russia

WASHINGTON ó In the days after President Trump fired James B. Comey as F.B.I. director, law enforcement officials became so concerned by the presidentís behavior that they began investigating whether he had been working on behalf of Russia against American interests, according to former law enforcement officials and others familiar with the investigation. The inquiry carried explosive implications. Counterintelligence investigators had to consider whether the presidentís own actions constituted a possible threat to national security. Agents also sought to determine whether Mr. Trump was knowingly working for Russia or had unwittingly fallen under Moscowís influence.The investigation the F.B.I. opened into Mr. Trump also had a criminal aspect, which has long been publicly known: whether his firing of Mr. Comey constituted obstruction of justice.

Agents and senior F.B.I. officials had grown suspicious of Mr. Trumpís ties to Russia during the 2016 campaign but held off on opening an investigation into him, the people said, in part because they were uncertain how to proceed with an inquiry of such sensitivity and magnitude. But the presidentís activities before and after Mr. Comeyís firing in May 2017, particularly two instances in which Mr. Trump tied the Comey dismissal to the Russia investigation, helped prompt the counterintelligence aspect of the inquiry, the people said.

The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, took over the inquiry into Mr. Trump when he was appointed, days after F.B.I. officials opened it. That inquiry is part of Mr. Muellerís broader examination of how Russian operatives interfered in the 2016 election and whether any Trump associates conspired with them. It is unclear whether Mr. Mueller is still pursuing the counterintelligence matter, and some former law enforcement officials outside the investigation have questioned whether agents overstepped in opening it.

The criminal and counterintelligence elements were coupled together into one investigation, former law enforcement officials said in interviews in recent weeks, because if Mr. Trump had ousted the head of the F.B.I. to impede or even end the Russia investigation, that was both a possible crime and a national security concern. The F.B.I.ís counterintelligence division handles national security matters.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/u...a-inquiry.html
    Canít help but think this was a planned leak from the Justice dept....
    Searching for the truth

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien View Post
    Can’t help but think this was a planned leak from the Justice dept....
    It wouldn't surprise me especially since the article appears to have said they found no evidence. Either way we'll have to wait until Mueller finishes his investigation. Cohen's testimony before congress should be most interesting.
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

ATLien (01-13-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the idea that Trump is working for the Russians just tells me the political opposition has lost it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to knockles For This Useful Post:

Gamewell45 (01-13-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knockles View Post
    the idea that Trump is working for the Russians just tells me the political opposition has lost it.
    That can only make sense if you think the Justice department and the FBI are political opponents...
    Searching for the truth

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ATLien For This Useful Post:

Gamewell45 (01-13-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knockles View Post
    I'll admit that sometimes both the left and right extremists get carried away, I think in this case given Scenario involving Manafort, Cohen, Papadopoulos and company we'll have to wait until Mueller's report is filed since there are so many different angles this can go.

By the way, welcome to the forum and we hope to see you posting in here on a regular basis.
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

ATLien (02-13-2019)

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean yeah the Russian thing can be real. But I think it is a finger pointing in the opposite direction of what is really going on. Kind of like the finger we point at Iran, while we do business with the real terrorist in the middle east the Saudis.