User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should you need to pass a social media check to get a gun?

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamewell45 View Post
    You make a very good point and yes speech is still theoretically free in this nation. I think that and the 2nd amendment are two of the most important ones used in our everyday lives.
    So true.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    It isn't illegal to hate and "hate speech" is a highly subjective term. This is the problem I have with this concept. If a history of violent acts can be demonstrated then sure, maybe but speech is still theoretically free in this nation.
    I think there are differences in certain hate speech that have to be considered. Not for taking guns away. I am just talking in general. Like if a racist says he hates Mexicans and wishes they would die. Ok that is pretty bad but ultimately that is his opinion. But the line gets crossed when people incite, and have a base of followers and start to make a call for people to rise up and shed blood in the streets. To me that delves into different territory.

But if we are talking about the president he kind of incites because he knows what his base is like and he instills fear in them. He says the illegals are a threat and are trying to destroy our nation. He attacks our congress women because they are not as white as him. When he has a weak minded fragile base words like his can be dangerous.

That being said freedom of speech is very important. This subject is very tricky because it can really infringe on our civil liberties if we don't tread carefully.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (08-15-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is freedom of speech and there is abuse of freedom of speech.
    I'm not sure Americans even care.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Beevee For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (08-14-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beevee View Post
    I think most of us just don't realize it. We are busy, and distracted. We don't even seem to notice our civil liberties being taken out from under us one at a time slowly but surely.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I think there are differences in certain hate speech that have to be considered. Not for taking guns away. I am just talking in general. Like if a racist says he hates Mexicans and wishes they would die. Ok that is pretty bad but ultimately that is his opinion. But the line gets crossed when people incite, and have a base of followers and start to make a call for people to rise up and shed blood in the streets. To me that delves into different territory.

But if we are talking about the president he kind of incites because he knows what his base is like and he instills fear in them. He says the illegals are a threat and are trying to destroy our nation. He attacks our congress women because they are not as white as him. When he has a weak minded fragile base words like his can be dangerous.

That being said freedom of speech is very important. This subject is very tricky because it can really infringe on our civil liberties if we don't tread carefully.
    Correct. When speech becomes a threat then it should be considered.
    my junk is ugly

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beevee View Post
    Incorrect.
    my junk is ugly