Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this being mean?

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    If you worked and saved up for say, a new motorcycle and your friend wanted to try it out, promising to be oh so careful, would you let your friend ride it while it still smelled new?
    I guess that would depend on the friend, but for a good mate - I think I would. But you make a good point, I wouldn't lend just anybody my push bike and it's not brand new. You are right of course, but I'm just a bit disappointed he doesn't trust me enough, and my mum says he will come around in time - it's still a new toy for him.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to William For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (09-26-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougRich View Post
    What the others have written is all very true, William - about big boys and their toys, etc. Perhaps something that hasn't been said - and I hope you don't think I'm too mean for being the one to say it - is that your Dad doesn't owe it to you to let you drive his car. If he's been a good Dad and given you lots of things over the years, put up with your shenanigans and juvenile nonsense and all that, plus supported you physically and emotionally - well, as much as we men do the latter - I'd guess that the ledger, at this point, leans heavily over into the credit side for his part. My advice, for what it is worth, is to be happy that he has something like that he really, really enjoys and make a greater effort to understand how he feels about it.
    Thanks for that Doug, you made me think about this. He has been a good dad, and he does spend over $60,000 a year on my school fees, and piano lessons and sports, and stuff, and he and my mum have given me loads of stuff over the years - I was just disappointed in the trust thing. He also took us on an around the world trip a couple of years ago - which must have cost him loads. So he's not stingy in that sense. I appreciate your advice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to William For This Useful Post:

DougRich (09-25-2018)