Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Your Choice When Voting

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making Your Choice When Voting

I think for most voters there is a maker or breaker on how one will vote; for some its candidates position on gun control, abortion, foreign policy, immigration, etc.

My question is this: What one issue is a maker or breaker for you which will determine how you will vote in an election.

For me the maker or breaker is the candidates position on organized labor; being that I am a life-long labor activist, labor is near and dear to my heart.

Any candidate who has a positive track record that is better then his/her opponent will generally win my support at election time.
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (04-07-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm more inclined to choose candidates that more broadly represent my interests. The deal breaker for me is a candidate that has a checkered past in terms of principled behavior.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.” Mahatma Gandhi

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Gamewell45 (09-13-2018), Just AnotherPerson (04-07-2019)

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamewell45 View Post
    I think for most voters there is a maker or breaker on how one will vote; for some its candidates position on gun control, abortion, foreign policy, immigration, etc.

My question is this: What one issue is a maker or breaker for you which will determine how you will vote in an election.

For me the maker or breaker is the candidates position on organized labor; being that I am a life-long labor activist, labor is near and dear to my heart.

Any candidate who has a positive track record that is better then his/her opponent will generally win my support at election time.
    For me it is a myriad of topics. But one that really stands out to me is war. Because it effects so many people. War is like a plague on our earth. I mean some wars are unavoidable. But some wars never needed to start, especially wars that are for regime change or corporate interests. So war is a major one for me.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    For me it is a myriad of topics. But one that really stands out to me is war. Because it effects so many people. War is like a plague on our earth. I mean some wars are unavoidable. But some wars never needed to start, especially wars that are for regime change or corporate interests. So war is a major one for me.
    That's very cool. I can understand the importance to you, especially as you mentioned, war is like a plague on earth which I hope is eradicated someday.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (04-07-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's very cool. I can understand the importance to you, especially as you mentioned, war is like a plague on earth which I hope is eradicated someday.
    I also find it very cool that you are a life long labor activists. It can be tough in this world fighting for human rights, on any front. It is hard when you are going up against the titans. But if the people never stand up, never speak out then they will remain under the whip of tyranny so to speak. It is amazing what the people can do when sound minds come together with conviction.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also find it very cool that you are a life long labor activists. It can be tough in this world fighting for human rights, on any front. It is hard when you are going up against the titans. But if the people never stand up, never speak out then they will remain under the whip of tyranny so to speak. It is amazing what the people can do when sound minds come together with conviction.
    There is an old saying by Eugene V. Debs I read about when a college student: "If you allow people to use you as a piece of carpet, they will". I've lived my life by those words and never allowed anyone use me as a piece of carpet.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (04-08-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an old saying by Eugene V. Debs I read about when a college student: "If you allow people to use you as a piece of carpet, they will". I've lived my life by those words and never allowed anyone use me as a piece of carpet.
    That is a great saying. Well said, and so true. I believe that our current state of things are due to our lack of vigilance and inaction. If most of the people would step back in and take their Democracy in their own hands again. I believe we could make real changes to this nation. It is when we step back and remain silent that we are no longer a nation by the people for the people. We step back and shirk our duties and next thing you know we are a nation by the corporations, for the corporations.

The people do not understand the power of their voice, or the power of their participation in our governance and that is where we have gone wrong. Most are so busy working and raising children and so on, that they have all but forgotten their duties as citizens of this nation. If we are too busy and just put our trust in those in charge and say let them handle it. Then we end up in a nation that none of us wants to be in. Next thing you know the voice of the people no longer counts, and the voices of the people are replaced with corporate overlords.

We rely on select groups to speak up for us all. Those small select groups are over tasked with taking on all of the issues of the nation on behalf of the entire nation of people. If only the majority would step up, and not put the burden on the shoulders of the few and stop shirking their duties, and participate. I am not talking Yellow vest style either. I simply mean using the democracy that is in place, that we all have the right to participate in.

It is our birthright to take part in our own governance. It is our duty as citizens of this nation to keep things in check. If we don't want to be stepped on, then we need to stop laying down and taking it. We need to stand up, and reclaim our voices. I mean this for all of the issues, what ever is important to you. Everyone has different things that matter most to them, we wont all have the same interests. But if most of us would stand up for what we believe is right, for the causes that mean something to us, we could really make real changes on all fronts. I truly 100% believe this.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a great saying. Well said, and so true. I believe that our current state of things are due to our lack of vigilance and inaction. If most of the people would step back in and take their Democracy in their own hands again. I believe we could make real changes to this nation. It is when we step back and remain silent that we are no longer a nation by the people for the people. We step back and shirk our duties and next thing you know we are a nation by the corporations, for the corporations.

The people do not understand the power of their voice, or the power of their participation in our governance and that is where we have gone wrong. Most are so busy working and raising children and so on, that they have all but forgotten their duties as citizens of this nation. If we are too busy and just put our trust in those in charge and say let them handle it. Then we end up in a nation that none of us wants to be in. Next thing you know the voice of the people no longer counts, and the voices of the people are replaced with corporate overlords.

We rely on select groups to speak up for us all. Those small select groups are over tasked with taking on all of the issues of the nation on behalf of the entire nation of people. If only the majority would step up, and not put the burden on the shoulders of the few and stop shirking their duties, and participate. I am not talking Yellow vest style either. I simply mean using the democracy that is in place, that we all have the right to participate in.

It is our birthright to take part in our own governance. It is our duty as citizens of this nation to keep things in check. If we don't want to be stepped on, then we need to stop laying down and taking it. We need to stand up, and reclaim our voices. I mean this for all of the issues, what ever is important to you. Everyone has different things that matter most to them, we wont all have the same interests. But if most of us would stand up for what we believe is right, for the causes that mean something to us, we could really make real changes on all fronts. I truly 100% believe this.
    Truer words have never been spoken; I honestly believe that someday, many American's will wake up and stand up for their rights in the workplace. Of course there will be much sacrifice to be had but sometimes one must be willing to sacrifice for what they believe in, in order for them to achieve their goals. When enough people get fed up, only then will you see meaningful change occur in the US labor market. Until then, they'll be trampled upon over and over again until they conclude that things are so bad, they've got nothing left to lose and begin to exercise their rights in the workplace.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (04-09-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truer words have never been spoken; I honestly believe that someday, many American's will wake up and stand up for their rights in the workplace. Of course there will be much sacrifice to be had but sometimes one must be willing to sacrifice for what they believe in, in order for them to achieve their goals. When enough people get fed up, only then will you see meaningful change occur in the US labor market. Until then, they'll be trampled upon over and over again until they conclude that things are so bad, they've got nothing left to lose and begin to exercise their rights in the workplace.
    I totally agree, you would think that we are there already. But somehow it seems that most people don't seem to care about an issue unless it affects them directly. Like for instance your neighboring state can experience a natural disaster like an earthquake or a tornado or fire. It can devastate thousands and kill many. It can render thousands homeless in an instant. But with peoples lack of empathy, it is as though nothing happened at all. They go on laughing, and having a good time. While our own brothers and sisters in humanity are suffering, sometimes even right next door.

We are now partly living in the digital consciousness, and this makes it even worse. We are so involved in our own lives, and we are seeking constant entertainment, so we don't have time to let our minds dwell on reality. We are caught up in a world of our own making. We ignore the reality that is happening all around us. It is almost like we are already partly living in a virtual reality of sorts if you think about it. It is only when the issues, what ever they may be, land on our own doorstep, that most of us will stop and care.

Meanwhile you have the small majority of people who truly do care about the issues, and sacrifice their own happiness and time, out of care for their fellow man, working with all they have, to make the world a better place for people they have never even met. Yet many of those people we fight for are living blind, not even standing up for their own rights on what ever issues that they may be. If everyone would offer just a small amount of time, then things could be resolved with a sliver of the effort. It is a sad state really.

But those who truly do care about the human rights of their fellow man do not hold back. They do what is right, because they are driven by truth and Understanding. They are driven by their sane view of reality in the world. When you understand the truth how can you ignore it? The only reason others do not stand is because they do not understand the situation. They are trapped in ignorance if you will. But those who do understand, have compassion for their fellow man, and understanding and never stand down. We do what is right because it is right.

I do believe the times that we are living in now, are more turbulent than they have been in a long time. I believe that more and more people are waking up to the reality of what is happening all around them. But for the time being, as long as we still have our comforts and our entertainments the people will not stand up out of fear of losing their comforts. But when these last things are lost, and people are suffering, then perhaps they will actually see what is happening and stand up. Maybe.....Maybe not.

It seems the world is chaotic in a sense, and many are just too busy to care. Even though they are being affected and feel like victims in many cases. They just trudge along with no end in sight. So sad.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Gamewell45 (04-10-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People are now being groomed from birth to be dumb, selfish sheeple, and even when they are being treated like they don't deserve better, they don't see it. Conversely, they often don't see beyond their region, nevermind their state. I think this is deliberate. It bodes for a very dystopic future where the rich are very very rich and the poor are content to be amused. No middle class.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.” Mahatma Gandhi

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (04-10-2019)