User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What was the first concert you ever attended?

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked security at a Third Eye Blind concert in college, that was the only concert I have ever been to.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Safety For This Useful Post:

Gamewell45 (09-06-2018), silvereyes (10-03-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    My gran took me to Last Night of the Proms at the Albert Hall when I was like 6. I thought I would hate it, but I enjoyed it, and sang along with the crowd to Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory - even though I didn't know all the words. That, together with other concerts and my piano lessons has made me quite like classical music. I know that sounds weird from a teen.
    I've been to something I was told was "the proms" but it was at a park.

Sadly I was kinda bored. There is not a classical bone in my body.
    Retreating? Hell no, I'm just attacking in a different direction!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Crepitus For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (09-07-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crepitus View Post
    I've been to something I was told was "the proms" but it was at a park.

Sadly I was kinda bored. There is not a classical bone in my body.
    Was it in the UK? It was probably part of this -

The Proms is an eight-week summer season of daily orchestral classical music concerts and other events held annually, predominantly in the Royal Albert Hall in central London. Founded in 1895, seasons now consist of concerts in the Royal Albert Hall, chamber music concerts at Cadogan Hall, additional Proms in the Park events across the UK on the Last Night of the Proms, and associated educational and children's events. The season is a significant event in British culture. In classical music, Jiří Bělohlávek described the Proms as "the world's largest and most democratic musical festival"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Proms

I thought I would be bored but I loved it - and it's not all serious classical music. There's loads of feel-good music - like Jerusalem, and Land of Hope and Glory. But it may not be that great for Americans - like it's a very British celebration. But the Aussies do it too - I since went to one in the Sydney Opera House, and it was exactly the same as the one at the Albert Hall.

Here's a bit from the Royal Albert Hall -

6. The Following User Says Thank You to William For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (09-07-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One I didn't go to and probably should have. In the late '80s my Navy P-3 crew was hanging out in the south of France for about a week - rough duty - and some of the guys decided to attend some music concert that was happening there in town, in the local Roman coliseum. I opted not to go. Turns out it was The Police, on what I think was their final European tour before breaking up. The opening act was A Flock of Seagulls.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DougRich For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (09-07-2018), Gamewell45 (09-10-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Was it in the UK? It was probably part of this -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Proms

I thought I would be bored but I loved it - and it's not all serious classical music. There's loads of feel-good music - like Jerusalem, and Land of Hope and Glory. But it may not be that great for Americans - like it's a very British celebration. But the Aussies do it too - I since went to one in the Sydney Opera House, and it was exactly the same as the one at the Albert Hall.

Here's a bit from the Royal Albert Hall -

Yes, it was in London so I was assuming it was all part of the same thing.
    Retreating? Hell no, I'm just attacking in a different direction!

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougRich View Post
    One I didn't go to and probably should have. In the late '80s my Navy P-3 crew was hanging out in the south of France for about a week - rough duty - and some of the guys decided to attend some music concert that was happening there in town, in the local Roman coliseum. I opted not to go. Turns out it was The Police, on what I think was their final European tour before breaking up. The opening act was A Flock of Seagulls.
    Both Excellent groups!
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamewell45 View Post
    Both Excellent groups!
    I came of age, as they say, during the heyday of some great rock & roll groups, but I was never really into it like some of my friends were. (I remember I stayed over at a friend's house one night and listened to every Grand Funk Railroad album recorded to that date.) I was into Janis, the Beatles, Arlo Guthrie and a few others, but to this day I can hear a classic R&R song that I've heard hundreds of times and not be able to tell you who recorded it. I just never took the time to learn who was singing and playing what, I guess - and I was spending all my money on books, not records. So even if I'd been told, before the concert, that it was the Police, chances are I wouldn't have even known who that was or cared.

The wife and I still go see Arlo Guthrie when he comes to town. The first couple of times, he and his extended family performed at an outdoor venue over in Mesa, and after the concert he would sit at a table and sign stuff for everybody. I got him to sign my original LP of 'Alice's Restaurant' and a baseball.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougRich View Post
    I came of age, as they say, during the heyday of some great rock & roll groups, but I was never really into it like some of my friends were. (I remember I stayed over at a friend's house one night and listened to every Grand Funk Railroad album recorded to that date.) I was into Janis, the Beatles, Arlo Guthrie and a few others, but to this day I can hear a classic R&R song that I've heard hundreds of times and not be able to tell you who recorded it. I just never took the time to learn who was singing and playing what, I guess - and I was spending all my money on books, not records. So even if I'd been told, before the concert, that it was the Police, chances are I wouldn't have even known who that was or cared.

The wife and I still go see Arlo Guthrie when he comes to town. The first couple of times, he and his extended family performed at an outdoor venue over in Mesa, and after the concert he would sit at a table and sign stuff for everybody. I got him to sign my original LP of 'Alice's Restaurant' and a baseball.
    The one Arlo Guthrie record that I'm familiar with and really like is his 1971 release " Valley to Pray"; I know he's done plenty more recordings but this one sticks out in my memory as being a really great song. We both grew up around the same time so It's likely that we both appreciate much of the same music.
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Air Supply. Lol

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)