User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robots Making Burgers in San Francisco - World's First Entirely Robotic Restuarant

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamewell45 View Post
    I think for some people there is a human element involved and they at least initially, might not feel comfortable dealing with a robot. The automation is as only as good as the humans that program it. Maybe years down the road they'll perfect it to the point where it is universally accepted by the public in general.
    Undoubtedly the young will be more likely to accept it more readily than the older crowd.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.” Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just remembered a short story I read many years ago, about a very old Tarzan, living in a city and trying to get a robot server in a restaurant to give him a raw steak.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DougRich For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-27-2018), Gamewell45 (06-27-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkloaf View Post
    The automation revolution is around the corner, and we need to think about what that means for our work force.
    While I don't like this, as history shows, such advancements will open different jobs. Some will suffer, as some would even without advancements, and some will prosper. The advancements may change which is which, but that's about it. I believe one day, the creative types will be the ones that are most prosperous.

Eventually, most "menial" jobs will be handled by machines. Humans will adapt, as we always have. Eventually, it's likely there will be no need for currency. That's a ways down the road, though.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Undoubtedly the young will be more likely to accept it more readily than the older crowd.
    That's natural. The older one gets, the more resistant to change, typically. We're seeing that start to last longer, as rapid as progress is getting.

Just looking at my parents, they have adapted quite a bit to the computer age, and they're in their 70s.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Lantern For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-28-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
    While I don't like this, as history shows, such advancements will open different jobs. Some will suffer, as some would even without advancements, and some will prosper. The advancements may change which is which, but that's about it. I believe one day, the creative types will be the ones that are most prosperous.

Eventually, most "menial" jobs will be handled by machines. Humans will adapt, as we always have. Eventually, it's likely there will be no need for currency. That's a ways down the road, though.
    The uncomfortable truth is that there will always be a certain percentage of the population that, despite whatever advances in education and training may come, will never be equipped, intellectually or temperamentally, for any but the simplest physical labor. What concessions or adjustments is society prepared to make in order to integrate those people into the workforce, when machines are doing most of the jobs that those people formerly held? Or will they somehow exist outside the workforce under some "guaranteed minimum income" scheme? One perhaps unfortunate consequence of our modern day, consumer-driven, instant (and visual) communication of everything everyone else is doing (and owning) to the world is that a lot of minimum wage folks - let alone the unemployed - aspire to the sort of lifestyle, conveniences and grownup toys that their abilities are, realistically, never going to be able to provide them. That breeds frustration and resentment, among other things.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DougRich For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-28-2018)

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
    That's natural. The older one gets, the more resistant to change, typically. We're seeing that start to last longer, as rapid as progress is getting.

Just looking at my parents, they have adapted quite a bit to the computer age, and they're in their 70s.
    For me I think it is that the younger generation does not know any better. They didn't live during the "free" times like we did. They don't know anything different, so they are all on board with automation, even other things like having your phone listening in, or the Artificial intelligence business. We older folks know differently. We lived in the time before the hardcore spying, we used to have some freedoms that we don't have today. The kids of today can't even fathom that life we lived, nor would they want to. Times are changing, and for us who want to hold on to our freedoms, or our old ways, it is going to be a bit painful going into the future. At least that is how I feel about it.