User Tag List

Thread: Hello, iím New

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello, iím New

This is my first entry. I am told that I can speak my mind on various topics. For me itís mostly political. I am aware that all comments should be in relatively good taste and manners. I am terribly concerned with the direction this ďpresidentĒ is taking us and they way some people are supporting him. Am I a snob for thinking that anyone who supports this man is out of their minds?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetsBaseball For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-23-2018), Gamewell45 (06-23-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsBaseball View Post
    This is my first entry. I am told that I can speak my mind on various topics. For me it’s mostly political. I am aware that all comments should be in relatively good taste and manners. I am terribly concerned with the direction this “president” is taking us and they way some people are supporting him. Am I a snob for thinking that anyone who supports this man is out of their minds?
    Welcome to the forum Mets. I think that your opinion of the current president is shared by millions of people.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the worldís problems.Ē Mahatma Gandhi

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Gamewell45 (06-23-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my first entry. I am told that I can speak my mind on various topics. For me it’s mostly political. I am aware that all comments should be in relatively good taste and manners. I am terribly concerned with the direction this “president” is taking us and they way some people are supporting him. Am I a snob for thinking that anyone who supports this man is out of their minds?
    Welcome on board. I echo @Dr. Who's sentiments as well.
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my first entry. I am told that I can speak my mind on various topics. For me itís mostly political. I am aware that all comments should be in relatively good taste and manners. I am terribly concerned with the direction this ďpresidentĒ is taking us and they way some people are supporting him. Am I a snob for thinking that anyone who supports this man is out of their minds?
    Hello, and welcome to the board.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that a great many people, while they are not unmindful of Trump's intellectual and other deficiencies, think that his support for certain causes - and opposition to others - makes his personality and shortcomings acceptable. In other words, they can cheer his jingoism - what Trump calls "America First" - and his crude, insulting behavior toward foreign leaders, and his demonstrated preference for deregulating American industry - even when in doing so he endangers the health, finances and freedoms of American citizens - and cheer him on while pretty much ignoring the fact that the man acts like a cross between a petulant four-year-old and the loudmouthed drunk at the far end of the bar...and that he lies, misspeaks and puts his personal ignorance of nearly everything on public display 365 days a year. They wouldn't tolerate an employee, a customer service person or a prospective son-in-law who acted like Trump, but they're willing to let somebody like that be the President of their country because they think he's got their own interests at heart and that he truly thinks about things as they do.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DougRich For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-24-2018), spunkloaf (06-26-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougRich View Post
    I believe that a great many people, while they are not unmindful of Trump's intellectual and other deficiencies, think that his support for certain causes - and opposition to others - makes his personality and shortcomings acceptable. In other words, they can cheer his jingoism - what Trump calls "America First" - and his crude, insulting behavior toward foreign leaders, and his demonstrated preference for deregulating American industry - even when in doing so he endangers the health, finances and freedoms of American citizens - and cheer him on while pretty much ignoring the fact that the man acts like a cross between a petulant four-year-old and the loudmouthed drunk at the far end of the bar...and that he lies, misspeaks and puts his personal ignorance of nearly everything on public display 365 days a year. They wouldn't tolerate an employee, a customer service person or a prospective son-in-law who acted like Trump, but they're willing to let somebody like that be the President of their country because they think he's got their own interests at heart and that he truly thinks about things as they do.
    I think the technical term is 'cognitive estrangement' or 'suspension of disbelief'. It is usually used in the context of fiction.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the worldís problems.Ē Mahatma Gandhi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

spunkloaf (06-26-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Mets! Cal I call you Mets? Or maybe just Me? Or how about M.

You are absolutely not a snob. In fact, you are on point.
    Let the yoke fall from our shoulders
    Don't carry it all, don't carry it all
    We are all our hands in holders
    Beneath this bold and brilliant sun
    And this I swear to all
    -The Decemberists

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I think the technical term is 'cognitive estrangement' or 'suspension of disbelief'. It is usually used in the context of fiction.
    Or dating.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DougRich For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-26-2018)