User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: tPF

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who, I just went over there and read your back-and-forth with a couple of Trumpanzees - tahulyman, or however you spell it, and the guy with (appropriately) a little kid in a high chair as his avatar - and quite honestly I don't know how (or why) you do it. You know going in that they're going to just avoid any logical arguments you make, insult you, and then crow about having "handed you your ass". You'd have a more intelligent and receptive crowd in the average kindergarten class.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DougRich For This Useful Post:

Crepitus (07-20-2018), Docthehun (07-20-2018), Dr. Who (07-20-2018), Safety (07-28-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must admit; they do have some real "winners" in the forum. Those are the one's that I believe have done more to hurt the forum then help it. It's one thing to be civil and disagree but they take it to a higher level and make it personal laced with insults much of the time. The mods have their hands full trying to deal with all the craziness that goes on in there.

Anyhow, getting back on track, because of the "winners" in the forum, most people don't want to put up with the BS that those people dish out. As a long time member of tPF i've watched it evolve over the years; it's now evolving into an EMT echo chamber (Link attached for all you non-audio guys) and until an influx of moderates/left leaning posters join, it'll be more like Trinn's site. For those of you who haven't been there, it's a bastion of conservative views. Liberals venturing in have the life expectancy of a sheet of kleenex. Let's all hope that tPF doesn't evolve into another conservative site loaded with talking points for conservative issues/values.

https://www.uaudio.com/blog/emt-250-...ator-overview/
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Docthehun (07-20-2018), Dr. Who (07-20-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamewell45 View Post
    I must admit; they do have some real "winners" in the forum. Those are the one's that I believe have done more to hurt the forum then help it. It's one thing to be civil and disagree but they take it to a higher level and make it personal laced with insults much of the time. The mods have their hands full trying to deal with all the craziness that goes on in there.

Anyhow, getting back on track, because of the "winners" in the forum, most people don't want to put up with the BS that those people dish out. As a long time member of tPF i've watched it evolve over the years; it's now evolving into an EMT echo chamber (Link attached for all you non-audio guys) and until an influx of moderates/left leaning posters join, it'll be more like Trinn's site. For those of you who haven't been there, it's a bastion of conservative views. Liberals venturing in have the life expectancy of a sheet of kleenex. Let's all hope that tPF doesn't evolve into another conservative site loaded with talking points for conservative issues/values.

https://www.uaudio.com/blog/emt-250-...ator-overview/
    With most people, I think it takes some genuine shaming or embarrassment to change one's behavior in the way we're suggesting would be preferable to the Trumpian love-fest going on over there currently. Right now, that sort of motivation doesn't exist on that forum. A Trump supporter can make the dumbest statement imaginable, be contradicted by a non-Trumpian, and have a half dozen fellow Trumpians backing him up in a matter of hours or minutes. The bar is so low over there in terms of how logical or factual a post has to be if you're a "conservative", in order for you to be supported by other "conservatives", that they have zero incentive to try harder to make sense. You have to remember that most of them are not on the forum, at this point, to win arguments - only to imagine that they're winning arguments and be back-slapped and applauded by like-minded others. That's why I have occasionally posted a photo of one of those little plastic steering wheels that attach to a toddler's car seat and make the baby think he's driving, when someone is clearly not even attempting to have a real conversation, but is just playing at having one.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DougRich For This Useful Post:

Docthehun (07-20-2018), Dr. Who (07-20-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougRich View Post
    With most people, I think it takes some genuine shaming or embarrassment to change one's behavior in the way we're suggesting would be preferable to the Trumpian love-fest going on over there currently. Right now, that sort of motivation doesn't exist on that forum. A Trump supporter can make the dumbest statement imaginable, be contradicted by a non-Trumpian, and have a half dozen fellow Trumpians backing him up in a matter of hours or minutes. The bar is so low over there in terms of how logical or factual a post has to be if you're a "conservative", in order for you to be supported by other "conservatives", that they have zero incentive to try harder to make sense. You have to remember that most of them are not on the forum, at this point, to win arguments - only to imagine that they're winning arguments and be back-slapped and applauded by like-minded others. That's why I have occasionally posted a photo of one of those little plastic steering wheels that attach to a toddler's car seat and make the baby think he's driving, when someone is clearly not even attempting to have a real conversation, but is just playing at having one.
    I concur with you on this Doug; I'd also like to add that I think a number of the Trump supporters, for whatever the reason, have an axe to grind with society in general and the forum gives them the platform they so need to air their grievances against the world. In all fairness I further recognize that there are some on the left who would fit the mold as well; both groups of people are only happy when they can complain; sometimes about the most minor issue. The secret is to minimize contact with them as much as possible, that's why there are some people on the various forums I inhabit whom I literally pay no attention to; for me it works very well.
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Docthehun (07-20-2018), DougRich (07-20-2018), Dr. Who (07-20-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think many feel that they've been shortchanged and are looking for someone to blame. Latinos make an easy target. Back when the great recession hit I predicted that many of the lost jobs, middle class jobs where you could make $60-80 grand a year with just a high school education, were gone for good. Unless you're lucky, you really need some advanced schooling or training to get a decent middle class job. Many of the Trump supporters, despite talking like they're solid conservatives, despising "handouts", are convinced this POTUS has some magic dust that will vault them up to where they perceive they belong. Somehow they view that magic dust differently than programs that benefit the poor. I think the poor get beat up more than the immigrants. God certainly wouldn't approve of the treatment the far right suggests for those that have the least.

In support of the statement that the diehards will believe anything he says, his followers are calling this a "good week for the POTUS".

Apparently there were those who disagreed. (I think everybody but the diehards!)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/week-trum...205733357.html
    Last edited by Docthehun; 07-20-2018 at 11:16 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Docthehun For This Useful Post:

Gamewell45 (07-20-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Docthehun View Post
    I think many feel that they've been shortchanged and are looking for someone to blame. Latinos make an easy target. Back when the great recession hit I predicted that many of the lost jobs, middle class jobs where you could make $60-80 grand a year with just a high school education, were gone for good. Unless you're lucky, you really need some advanced schooling or training to get a decent middle class job. Many of the Trump supporters, despite talking like they're solid conservatives, despising "handouts", are convinced this POTUS has some magic dust that will vault them up to where they perceive they belong. Somehow they view that magic dust differently than programs that benefit the poor. I think the poor get beat up more than the immigrants. God certainly wouldn't approve of the treatment the far right suggests for those that have the least.

In support of the statement that the diehards will believe anything he says, his followers are calling this a "good week for the POTUS".

Apparently there were those who disagreed. (I think everybody but the diehards!)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/week-trum...205733357.html
    I think I will co-op the right's usage of TDS to describe his supporters. They are the ones who are really deranged by Trump's fiction. It reminds me of how cultists behave. However, this syndrome is not new. It was perhaps predictable that when people find themselves losing economic ground because times have changed for them economically, they are ripe for a fast-talking miracle maker to lead them with promises to turn back the clock on change. All they have to do is believe in their leader and reject the hateful non-believers. I just happened upon a description of the typical cult leader:

Narcissistic personality—Dangerous cult leaders usually hold grandiose notions of their place in the world.

Ability to read others— “A guy like Charles Manson had the ability to spot who, at a party, that he thought he could control. It just seems to be in his personality,” Morantz said. Cult leaders “have the ability to size you up, and realize your weaknesses and get to your buttons.”

Claims of special powers: If a leader claims he’s smarter, holier, and more pure than everyone else, think twice about signing up.

Charisma meets anger: Dangerous cult leaders can be extremely loving, charming and affectionate, but often turn angry and abusive with no warning. This mercurial presentation keeps members off balance. https://lifehacker.com/how-to-identi...e-t-1795342855
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.” Mahatma Gandhi

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Docthehun (07-21-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll just say this. The conservatives over there have cried havoc. They're about to get to know the dogs of war.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Green Lantern For This Useful Post:

Docthehun (07-24-2018), Dr. Who (07-24-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I think I will co-op the right's usage of TDS to describe his supporters. They are the ones who are really deranged by Trump's fiction. It reminds me of how cultists behave. However, this syndrome is not new. It was perhaps predictable that when people find themselves losing economic ground because times have changed for them economically, they are ripe for a fast-talking miracle maker to lead them with promises to turn back the clock on change. All they have to do is believe in their leader and reject the hateful non-believers. I just happened upon a description of the typical cult leader:

Narcissistic personality—Dangerous cult leaders usually hold grandiose notions of their place in the world.

Ability to read others— “A guy like Charles Manson had the ability to spot who, at a party, that he thought he could control. It just seems to be in his personality,” Morantz said. Cult leaders “have the ability to size you up, and realize your weaknesses and get to your buttons.”

Claims of special powers: If a leader claims he’s smarter, holier, and more pure than everyone else, think twice about signing up.

Charisma meets anger: Dangerous cult leaders can be extremely loving, charming and affectionate, but often turn angry and abusive with no warning. This mercurial presentation keeps members off balance. https://lifehacker.com/how-to-identi...e-t-1795342855
    From urban dictionary, which has a definition up long before anybody else.

TOP DEFINITION
    Trump Derangement Syndrome
    Trump Derangement Syndrome (TDS) is a mental condition in which a person has been driven effectively insane due to their love of Donald Trump, to the point they will abandon all logic and reason.

Symptoms for this condition can be very diverse, ranging from racist or xenophobic outbursts to a complete disconnection from reality. TDS can also often result in the sufferer exhibiting violent, homicidal, or even genocidal desires, particularly against residents from foreign countries.

Sufferers have also been known to wish direct self-harm on themselves (such as increased tariffs, a desire for tax cuts heavily favoring corporations and the 1%, infringement of first amendment rights, and even the destruction of NATO for comrade Putin), provided that action was initiated by Donald Trump.

Paranoia is also a common symptom of TDS. Sufferers have been known to believe that they are in some way being persecuted when their Trump related beliefs are questioned, and in some cases believe they are about to be a victim of an immigrant related crime. The paranoia does however not seem to be bad enough to make TDS sufferers attempt to actually becoming informed and think for themselves.

If properly treated, suffers of TDS can make a full recovery. Many suffers have been known to grow out of TDS, yet many can only be treated by having their condition directly treated through the application of logical reasoning. It is also known that products containing mole can exacerbate the condition.
    Retreating? Hell no, I'm just attacking in a different direction!

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Crepitus For This Useful Post:

Docthehun (07-25-2018), DougRich (07-25-2018), Dr. Who (07-25-2018), Safety (07-28-2018), spunkloaf (07-25-2018), William (07-25-2018)