Thread: tPF

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tPF

Hi guys.

To those of you who come from tPF, I apologize for the crap that I am putting out right now, as well as in the past. It has become a toilet forum that is broken and un-flushable. There are a few members there who I have enormous resentments towards, because they are essentially professional trolls...that is, they live only to piss other people off, but contribute just enough to keep themselves from being banned. They have destroyed a community that I have been a part of for 11 years. They use the moderators to their own advantage, and the moderators there are too caught up in their games to know what is really happening.

As such, I am making this my permanent home, and I am only going to visit tPF to reject the ill behavior that I observe in others. I have years of pent-up resentments to let out, and it is not going to happen on here. I will be a keyboard warrior for the underdogs on that forum.

If you have been part of that forum, and are on the same page with me, let it be known here. I have a feeling that the others are organized in their efforts to drive people away. So why can't the intelligent contributors also be organized? I have thought of numerous ways to right the wrongs on that forum, and this is the only sensible and healthy option: to have a safe place where intelligent people can coordinate their efforts and focus their energy on the tPF forum where it is needed.

I could be wasting my energy, and maybe it is inevitable that tPF is just turning into a hotbed of sectarian trolls. But I want to create an army of do-gooders (good-doers? Og-ooders? Goo dodgers?) to counter-act their efforts.
    Let the yoke fall from our shoulders
    Don't carry it all, don't carry it all
    We are all our hands in holders
    Beneath this bold and brilliant sun
    And this I swear to all
    -The Decemberists

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkloaf View Post
    Hi guys.

To those of you who come from tPF, I apologize for the crap that I am putting out right now, as well as in the past. It has become a toilet forum that is broken and un-flushable. There are a few members there who I have enormous resentments towards, because they are essentially professional trolls...that is, they live only to piss other people off, but contribute just enough to keep themselves from being banned. They have destroyed a community that I have been a part of for 11 years. They use the moderators to their own advantage, and the moderators there are too caught up in their games to know what is really happening.

As such, I am making this my permanent home, and I am only going to visit tPF to reject the ill behavior that I observe in others. I have years of pent-up resentments to let out, and it is not going to happen on here. I will be a keyboard warrior for the underdogs on that forum.

If you have been part of that forum, and are on the same page with me, let it be known here. I have a feeling that the others are organized in their efforts to drive people away. So why can't the intelligent contributors also be organized? I have thought of numerous ways to right the wrongs on that forum, and this is the only sensible and healthy option: to have a safe place where intelligent people can coordinate their efforts and focus their energy on the tPF forum where it is needed.

I could be wasting my energy, and maybe it is inevitable that tPF is just turning into a hotbed of sectarian trolls. But I want to create an army of do-gooders (good-doers? Og-ooders? Goo dodgers?) to counter-act their efforts.
    I'm glad you are going to be here full time; this is a great forum despite our small size right now. I like it because you can give your viewpoint and not be personally attacked or personally insulted. I look forward to sharing viewpoints with you!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cornwall For This Useful Post:

spunkloaf (06-17-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't posted there in several weeks, maybe longer. I only pop in every so often to see what their take is on a particular story; it usually isn't very surprising, and I'm doing it less and less these days. Once a week, if that.

Here's the way I look at it, sl. You know what they are largely like over there, and you know what their reaction will be to any post that dissents from the fringe RW talking points they live by. So if you post there anyway - doesn't that sort of, no offense intended, make you something of a troll?

Yes, there are threads over there I'd like to jump into, but I don't. What I would like to find the time to do - and encourage others here to do the same - is to start a thread over HERE on the same topic, instead. Have a good conversation about it, sans the stupidity.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DougRich For This Useful Post:

spunkloaf (06-17-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougRich View Post
    I haven't posted there in several weeks, maybe longer. I only pop in every so often to see what their take is on a particular story; it usually isn't very surprising, and I'm doing it less and less these days. Once a week, if that.

Here's the way I look at it, sl. You know what they are largely like over there, and you know what their reaction will be to any post that dissents from the fringe RW talking points they live by. So if you post there anyway - doesn't that sort of, no offense intended, make you something of a troll?

Yes, there are threads over there I'd like to jump into, but I don't. What I would like to find the time to do - and encourage others here to do the same - is to start a thread over HERE on the same topic, instead. Have a good conversation about it, sans the stupidity.
    I will sometimes post the same thread on both forums just to see the different takes on the same subject matter. It's interesting to see the differences and the tendency for people on the other forum to politicize a non-political topic.

I think that one way to attract new members, especially conservative members to this forum is to avoid the kind of rhetoric that has driven liberals away from the other forum.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.” Mahatma Gandhi

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

jet57 (08-26-2018), spunkloaf (06-17-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have a point. The reason it does not make me a troll is because I was part of that community long before others joined it and turned it into something it is not supposed to be. I am simply trying to take back my territory.
    And this I swear to all
    -The Decemberists

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkloaf View Post
    Hi guys.

I am sorry about what is happening to our sister site, since I have a fairly long history there, but other than setting a good example and contributing as an adviser over there, my focus is currently about making this forum successful in its own right and proving that a forum doesn't have to be adversarial to attract membership from all different political perspectives.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.” Mahatma Gandhi

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Safety (06-17-2018), spunkloaf (06-17-2018), William (06-18-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I am sorry about what is happening to our sister site, since I have a fairly long history there, but other than setting a good example and contributing as an adviser over there, my focus is currently about making this forum successful in its own right and proving that a forum doesn't have to be adversarial to attract membership from all different political perspectives.
    Mostly I need to vent about the shenanigans there. You are absolutely right. It's just hard for me to let it go.
    And this I swear to all
    -The Decemberists

12. The Following User Says Thank You to spunkloaf For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-17-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I will sometimes post the same thread on both forums just to see the different takes on the same subject matter. It's interesting to see the differences and the tendency for people on the other forum to politicize a non-political topic.

I think that one way to attract new members, especially conservative members to this forum is to avoid the kind of rhetoric that has driven liberals away from the other forum.
    Yes! While it's true - and should never be considered any kind of "secret" - that this forum was started by self-identified liberals (someone please correct me if that's not accurate) getting away from a very unfriendly, intolerant, hard-Right conservative environment on another forum, the last thing in the world we would ever want to be do is to recreate some kind of intolerant, Left-leaning mirror image of that forum here. That is exactly why I, for one, bristle when anyone drops a stereotype or generalization about Conservatives, just as readily as I would object to somebody generalizing about or stereotyping Liberals. My own sister, as much as it pains me to admit it, is a Trump supporter. I love her dearly and she is certainly no idiot or moral monster - there are just certain realities that she is largely blind to, and things she simply doesn't "get".

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DougRich For This Useful Post:

Crepitus (06-17-2018), Dr. Who (06-17-2018), spunkloaf (06-18-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! While it's true - and should never be considered any kind of "secret" - that this forum was started by self-identified liberals (someone please correct me if that's not accurate) getting away from a very unfriendly, intolerant, hard-Right conservative environment on another forum, the last thing in the world we would ever want to be do is to recreate some kind of intolerant, Left-leaning mirror image of that forum here. That is exactly why I, for one, bristle when anyone drops a stereotype or generalization about Conservatives, just as readily as I would object to somebody generalizing about or stereotyping Liberals. My own sister, as much as it pains me to admit it, is a Trump supporter. I love her dearly and she is certainly no idiot or moral monster - there are just certain realities that she is largely blind to, and things she simply doesn't "get".
    I am willing to admit that I may drop generalizations from time to time, but I am aware that it is a character defect and I am working on it.

It's part of my competitive side, and it's hard to process the kinds of attacks and digs that I have experienced without throwing some shit back.
    And this I swear to all
    -The Decemberists

16. The Following User Says Thank You to spunkloaf For This Useful Post:

DougRich (06-18-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope that tPF doesn't end up like Trinn's site (our other sister site) which is nothing more then a feel-good site for conservatives. If they think you are not a solid conservative-Trump-loving person, if you post anything to the contrary, it's like sticking your hand into a nest full of angry hornets. Talk about personal insults/attacks/trolling!

As mentioned by other posters, I think tPF will bottom out and they'll start over again; they seem to be a rather resilient forum there.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cornwall For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-18-2018)