Thread: Ben shapiro: We need fathers to teach manliness | opinion

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ben shapiro: We need fathers to teach manliness | opinion

BY BEN SHAPIRO ON 6/15/18 - Newsweek

This weekend marks Father’s Day—or, as I have taken to calling it on social media, Second Legal Guardian Of Unspecified Gender Day. Obviously, this is trollery. But it’s not pure trollery: we live in a society that purports to champion fatherhood, but disparages fathering at every turn. We disparage the notion that fathers are necessary; we disparage the unique lessons fathers teach. Because some men in America are trash, too many Americans have decided that the problem is masculinity itself. The result hasn’t been a lessening of male perdition, but an exacerbation of it.

As it turns out, men do need fathers—and even more importantly, they need fathers who teach what it means to be a man to their children.

The social science on the necessity of fatherhood is absolutely clear. According to a massive recent Harvard study, the most powerful factor putting young men at risk of criminal behavior and poverty is lack of fathers in the neighborhood—not even fathers in the home, fathers in the neighborhood more generally. A prevalence of responsible men can even help compensate for lack of fathers in the home.

And it’s not a coincidence that girls from single-mother homes fare far more poorly than girls from two-parent homes. Girls from homes without a father tend to engage in more sexually risky behavior, with higher rates of drug use and dropping out of school.

Fathers provide a sense of security to their children, but they also model behavior. For boys, fathers model and teach how to be a protector; for girls, fathers model and teach how men ought to protect them.

There is a large biological component to all of this. Men are, by nature, bigger and stronger than women on average. They are also more prone to violence and more aggressive. This means that men either build and protect, or they destroy. Good men must teach their sons the art of manliness, or societies crumble. Masculinity can indeed be toxic, but only if it isn’t channeled into defense of self and others.

The #MeToo movement says men must be taught not to rape. But no good man has ever been taught not to rape. Good men are taught, generally by a male authority figure, to affirmatively stand up for women, to prevent harm. It’s not enough to teach boys “not to rape.” Boys must be taught to fight rapists. More here.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.” Mahatma Gandhi

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

DougRich (06-16-2018), jet57 (06-16-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    BY BEN SHAPIRO ON 6/15/18 - Newsweek

This weekend marks Father’s Day—or, as I have taken to calling it on social media, Second Legal Guardian Of Unspecified Gender Day. Obviously, this is trollery. But it’s not pure trollery: we live in a society that purports to champion fatherhood, but disparages fathering at every turn. We disparage the notion that fathers are necessary; we disparage the unique lessons fathers teach. Because some men in America are trash, too many Americans have decided that the problem is masculinity itself. The result hasn’t been a lessening of male perdition, but an exacerbation of it.

As it turns out, men do need fathers—and even more importantly, they need fathers who teach what it means to be a man to their children.

The social science on the necessity of fatherhood is absolutely clear. According to a massive recent Harvard study, the most powerful factor putting young men at risk of criminal behavior and poverty is lack of fathers in the neighborhood—not even fathers in the home, fathers in the neighborhood more generally. A prevalence of responsible men can even help compensate for lack of fathers in the home.

And it’s not a coincidence that girls from single-mother homes fare far more poorly than girls from two-parent homes. Girls from homes without a father tend to engage in more sexually risky behavior, with higher rates of drug use and dropping out of school.

Fathers provide a sense of security to their children, but they also model behavior. For boys, fathers model and teach how to be a protector; for girls, fathers model and teach how men ought to protect them.

There is a large biological component to all of this. Men are, by nature, bigger and stronger than women on average. They are also more prone to violence and more aggressive. This means that men either build and protect, or they destroy. Good men must teach their sons the art of manliness, or societies crumble. Masculinity can indeed be toxic, but only if it isn’t channeled into defense of self and others.

The #MeToo movement says men must be taught not to rape. But no good man has ever been taught not to rape. Good men are taught, generally by a male authority figure, to affirmatively stand up for women, to prevent harm. It’s not enough to teach boys “not to rape.” Boys must be taught to fight rapists. More here.
    Sorry Dr. Who, that's probably all true - but I wouldn't take too much notice of anything written by Ben Shapiro.

He's totally full of himself, and this is what Jane Coaston of the New York Times had to say about him:

Ben Shapiro, the conservative writer, prides himself on speaking bold truths to liberal power...

What Mr. Shapiro does on campus is shadow boxing meant to pander to his conservative fans whose values dominate mainstream American culture. If he wanted to be genuinely brave, he’d challenge some of the wrongheaded ideas held by his right-wing fans. Instead, he uses his megaphone — the website The Daily Wire — to reinforce what they already believe.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/12/o...n-shapiro.html

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Sorry Dr. Who, that's probably all true - but I wouldn't take too much notice of anything written by Ben Shapiro.

He's totally full of himself, and this is what Jane Coaston of the New York Times had to say about him:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/12/o...n-shapiro.html
    I can see that he's a conservative, but since we don't have much conservative input on this forum, I thought I'd post this opinion piece. I do think that he has a certain point. Boys do need good male role models to teach them what it means to be a decent man or they will model other behaviors. I may not agree with every point he makes, but that's really the point of posting it. To stimulate discussion.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.” Mahatma Gandhi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

DougRich (06-17-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dismissing someone's views without honest and genuine examination because of their other stated political stances or Party affiliation is what we came here to get away from. Right?

I didn't read past the quoted portion of the piece, but I found nothing to disagree with. That it was written by a conservative means less than nothing to me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DougRich For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-17-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ignore Shapiro, but it is true that children need important figures from different realms. Male, female, Conservative, liberal. Etcetera.

Differences help them in their upbringing, and the different points of view help them learn to think for themselves, a trait which is clearly lacking now.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Green Lantern For This Useful Post:

DougRich (06-17-2018), Dr. Who (06-17-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a single father raising two boys and doing my best to provide male roll model to widowed sister's kids as well are divorced neighbor's.

I'm doing my part.
    Retreating? Hell no, I'm just attacking in a different direction!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crepitus For This Useful Post:

DougRich (06-17-2018), Dr. Who (06-17-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crepitus View Post
    I'm a single father raising two boys and doing my best to provide male roll model to widowed sister's kids as well are divorced neighbor's.

I'm doing my part.
    Good male role models are so important. It's good that you are stepping into the breach.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good male role models are important. That's kind of a no-brainer.

I don't like that Ben Shapiro is taking this generally accepted truth and using it against the #MeToo movement. That is a classic strategy, to take a generally known and agreed-upon claim, and use it politically against an entity.

Ignoring that it is written by Ben Shapiro, and ignoring all of the political garbage he has strategically placed in there, it is generally a well-written opinion.
    Let the yoke fall from our shoulders
    Don't carry it all, don't carry it all
    We are all our hands in holders
    Beneath this bold and brilliant sun
    And this I swear to all
    -The Decemberists

14. The Following User Says Thank You to spunkloaf For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-17-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least he acknowledged toxic masculinity. However, he did not do enough to address how widespread it is. I suppose it is father's day, and he is not out there to "bash" men. Although, anybody who is wise enough knows that discussing toxic masculinity is not an attack on men or masculinity at all.
    Let the yoke fall from our shoulders
    Don't carry it all, don't carry it all
    We are all our hands in holders
    Beneath this bold and brilliant sun
    And this I swear to all
    -The Decemberists

16. The Following User Says Thank You to spunkloaf For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-17-2018)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My father was far from being a perfect role model - due largely to a serious, life-long alcohol problem - but the one thing he did well was to make sure his family was safe and taken care of. He was the one who thought ahead and anticipated problems, and who had any number of alternative solutions to those problems at the ready before they even happened...a good, even essential quality for a professional pilot to possess. The last time I saw him alive, a stroke had left him unable to speak, but as I was leaving I saw in his eyes the words he'd left me with all the times we'd parted before, all my adult life - "Take care of your family".

I hear a lot of negative rhetoric, from both comedians and serious critics, about how men have a tendency to want to jump in and solve problems rather than "just listening" and providing empathy and a hug. If I've learned one thing in forty-five years of married life, it's that the empathy and the hugs are important...but I believe the two women I've been married to in that time learned something as well: trying to prevent a man from wanting instinctively to solve a problem, especially if it affects someone he cares about, is like trying to command the tide. It's in our DNA, and if we're lucky it's also in our upbringing.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DougRich For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-17-2018)