Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Gun Nutís Guide to Gun Control That Works

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougRich View Post
    Never underestimate the motivation of a State bureaucrat to find new and novel ways to throw his or her weight around.

Oh, absolutely. On the other hand, a few years ago one of our local school districts instituted a policy whereby if a student was involved in any sort of physical altercation with another student, he or she would be asked about their family's ownership of firearms - how many guns they had in the house and where they were located. That lasted about a hot minute.
    Local school districts in your neck of the woods seem to be busy bodies. Sounds like a Hitler Jugen snitch on your parents plan. I can see why that instruction was shut down and I hope the person that instituted it was fired.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the worldís problems.Ē Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Local school districts in your neck of the woods seem to be busy bodies. Sounds like a Hitler Jugen snitch on your parents plan. I can see why that instruction was shut down and I hope the person that instituted it was fired.
    That is, unfortunately, the general sort of intrusion that I fear would happen were what some describe as "expanded" background checks and scrutiny of existing gun owners were to be implemented. I can remember a few years ago, it came to light that a mass shooter had been seeing a university counselor for some personal issues and some gun control advocates wondered why that hadn't disqualified him from buying/owning firearms. Of course it's obvious to most folks that seeing a counselor, even something like being in therapy with a psychiatrist, is a far cry from being adjudicated incompetent or being a danger to oneself or others, but not everyone sees it that way.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougRich View Post
    That is, unfortunately, the general sort of intrusion that I fear would happen were what some describe as "expanded" background checks and scrutiny of existing gun owners were to be implemented. I can remember a few years ago, it came to light that a mass shooter had been seeing a university counselor for some personal issues and some gun control advocates wondered why that hadn't disqualified him from buying/owning firearms. Of course it's obvious to most folks that seeing a counselor, even something like being in therapy with a psychiatrist, is a far cry from being adjudicated incompetent or being a danger to oneself or others, but not everyone sees it that way.
    I don't think that doing nothing will be an option for long, as was pointed out by the OP. Eventually, either pressure to change the 2nd Amendment by the 60 odd percent of the population who are not gun owners or not avid gun owners, or pressure from more people advocating surrender of all weapons will start to influence politics. The issue really isn't the majority of existing gun owners, members of the NRA or gun collectors. The biggest issues, IMO, are the types who become rampage killers who overwhelmingly tend to be miserable young people with few social skills, few if any friends, a history of being bullied or ridiculed, massive resentment and no expectation that anything will ever change for them. I have already indicated there are certain personality disorders or conditions like autism that leave people more susceptible to this behavior, including obsessing over the attention that such killers receive after the fact. Other issues are the poor storage of weapons, leading to accidents often involving children as well as gun thefts and the number of crooked FFLs that contribute to the illegal gun trade.
    Last edited by Dr. Who; 05-02-2018 at 06:39 PM.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the worldís problems.Ē Mahatma Gandhi