Thread: ICE arrests 90 more students at fake university in Michigan

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ICE arrests 90 more students at fake university in Michigan

I'm not sure what ICE was thinking on this one. I read somewhere that the people came here did so legally, it only became illegal when the school was a fake. I dont know too much about this story but it looked like it could spark some conversation.

See more at the link https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...it/4277686002/

Excerpt:

About 90 additional foreign students of a fake university in metro Detroit created by the Department of Homeland Security have been arrested in recent months.

A total of about 250 students have now been arrested since January on immigration violations by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) as part of a sting operation by federal agents who enticed foreign-born students, mostly from India, to attend the school that marketed itself as offering graduate programs in technology and computer studies, according to ICE officials.

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:

ICE Operation That Arrested Hundreds of Foreign Students At Fake University May Not Be Legal

See more at the link https://www.newsweek.com/ice-fake-un...apment-1474516

Excerpt:

mmigration and Customs Enforcement's latest immigration sting operation — a fake university set up to lure in foreign students — may not be totally legal, an immigration attorney said.

The Detroit Free Press reported Wednesday that 90 more students were arrested in the immigration bust. As the news outlet first reported in January, hundreds of foreign students were arrested after enrolling in the University of Farmington, a sham college in Michigan created by the Department of Homeland Security.

"I'm not surprised at this," Bill Hing, general counsel at the Immigrant Legal Resource Center and professor of law and migration studies at the University of San Francisco, told Newsweek about the operation. "The one thing that [President Donald] Trump did when he came in is that he pretty much unleashed local ICE directors to do whatever they want."

When asked if the operation rises to the level of entrapment, Hing said he believed the government may be in trouble. Entrapment is when people are not normally inclined to do something criminal but do so when they're presented with something that's not legally proper by law enforcement.