User Tag List

Thread: Recession ahead? Dow, stocks tank on fears that bond market signals a downturn

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recession ahead? Dow, stocks tank on fears that bond market signals a downturn

While I hope this isn't true, we have to consider that it happened back in 2008 so it stands to reason that it's a distinct possiblility that a recession is looming above us. The market tanked today dropping over 800 points; normally I'd say it is just an adjustment however given several factors which they are talking about on the media outlets, it appears that this could be a reality we might have to face.

Is a recession coming? Wall Street sure thought so Wednesday.

The Dow lost 800 points, posting its worst percentage drop of the year while the Standard & Poor's 500 and the Nasdaq each lost about 3%.

Worrying economic indicators from overseas coupled with an ominous signal in the bond market sent stocks into a tailspin.

“There was this realization that the rest of the globe is slowing faster than people expected, which leads to part two, the yield curve inverting for the first time since the financial crisis,” said Ryan Detrick, senior market strategist for LPL Financial. “That, historically, occurs ahead of a recession.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ff/2010009001/
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (08-14-2019)

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to mention this is all happening by design, what I mean by that is it was not a natural progression. Of curse it was brought about by ignorance and greed, but none the less it was not a natural occurrence. The trade war is hurting our nation and it is also hurting China. But it does seem that China is moving forward without us. What choice do they have? Do they suffer business with a boot on their neck or do they move on? They are now ditching our agriculture products completely, Trump's latest round of tarrifs. They will now buy their food elsewhere. https://modernfarmer.com/2019/08/chi...ucts-entirely/

China will now get their agricultural products elsewhere from places like Russia. http://kneb.com/agricultural/china-a...s-from-russia/

From the very beginning this was set in motion for those who are able to look at all of the aspects. Not only that look at Trump's record he has a history of bankrupting things, looks like out nation is not off limits. Either way at some point we will crash if not just for the fact that our borrowing is out of control. I am not sure exactly when, but it is definitely on the table as a possible variable in future outcome calculations.

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Not to mention this is all happening by design, what I mean by that is it was not a natural progression. Of curse it was brought about by ignorance and greed, but none the less it was not a natural occurrence. The trade war is hurting our nation and it is also hurting China. But it does seem that China is moving forward without us. What choice do they have? Do they suffer business with a boot on their neck or do they move on? They are now ditching our agriculture products completely, Trump's latest round of tarrifs. They will now buy their food elsewhere. https://modernfarmer.com/2019/08/chi...ucts-entirely/

China will now get their agricultural products elsewhere from places like Russia. http://kneb.com/agricultural/china-a...s-from-russia/

From the very beginning this was set in motion for those who are able to look at all of the aspects. Not only that look at Trump's record he has a history of bankrupting things, looks like out nation is not off limits. Either way at some point we will crash if not just for the fact that our borrowing is out of control. I am not sure exactly when, but it is definitely on the table as a possible variable in future outcome calculations.
    I have mixed feelings on the China situation; for years China hosed us over on trade; now they are getting a little of their own medicine; however with decisions come consequences and this could be a part of that decision made by our government. Either way we'll find out over the next few months as things unfold. I'm sure at some point, either side will "blink" and restore normal trading minus some of the stunts each country used to pull on each other.
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (08-15-2019)

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamewell45 View Post
    I have mixed feelings on the China situation; for years China hosed us over on trade; now they are getting a little of their own medicine; however with decisions come consequences and this could be a part of that decision made by our government. Either way we'll find out over the next few months as things unfold. I'm sure at some point, either side will "blink" and restore normal trading minus some of the stunts each country used to pull on each other.
    The only problem is in our quest to punish them, we are punishing ourselves. Our farmers are suffering the most. The way I see it is that for a long time the US and China were almost like one nation. Sure we say we are enemies, but we were in a relationship of necessity.

China produced nearly all our stuff, it was like China was our manufacturer. We benefited from it, and so did they. They polluted their land, in our stead. Their workers were made to work in substandard conditions living in cages, while we here in America had it much better. Not all of us, but most of us. But at the same time as we were exploiting china's cheap labor and their environment, they also moved forward while supplying us with our needs they grew exponentially. They also became a super power to be reckoned with.

I don't look at the world with the eyes of enemy vs friend. It is more like we are all humans and we are all sharing this world, and it is best when we find a way to get along. Nation superiority is a drag on the world, in my view. I think it would be great if all nations could prosper, and no one was used. But I know..... whish in one hand. But those are my ideals and hopes and vision. Even if such a vision will never be manifested it is harmless to dream it.

It would be great if all nationscould prosper in equal abundance, and all people could experience the prosperity of it.