User Tag List

Thread: Trump Labor Agency Says Religious Contractors Free From Bias Law (1)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trump Labor Agency Says Religious Contractors Free From Bias Law (1)

I'm not sure what to make of this but I have a sneaking suspicion that this can have a negative impact on people seeking work who religious employers can willingly discriminate against those whom they have religious objections to.

"Federal contractors will get a clearer picture of religious defenses to workplace discrimination claims under a proposed rule the Labor Department announced today, senior DOL officials told Bloomberg Law.

The proposal would cement current exemptions that “religion-exercising organizations” can use to shield themselves from bias claims for hiring decisions and other actions motivated by religious belief. That includes religious entities as well as “closely held” companies acting in accordance with an owner’s religious beliefs, two senior DOL officials told Bloomberg Law before the rule’s release.

The Labor Department’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs, which polices federal anti-discrimination requirements for businesses and other organizations that work with the government, unveiled the proposal Aug.14. It will be published in the Aug. 15 Federal Register, according to an official DOL statement."

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-..._hHb3jgEdaL89k

I make it even money that this ends up in SCOTUS. I think the rule allowing discrimination based on religious objections is open ended and a lot of people who'd normally be hired will now find that they will not be employed by religious based organizations.
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (08-14-2019)

Senior Member Just AnotherPerson's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa, that is a crazy topic. That is tough. You sure do bring some tough arguments to the table. It would seem to me that people of other faiths most likely wouldn't seek jobs at a religious organization of an opposite faith. This surprises me. Tough subject all the way.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Gamewell45 (08-14-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Whoa, that is a crazy topic. That is tough. You sure do bring some tough arguments to the table. It would seem to me that people of other faiths most likely wouldn't seek jobs at a religious organization of an opposite faith. This surprises me. Tough subject all the way.
    It's not an easy for sure; any religious organization, no matter how flimsy the pretext is, can deny you employment if it violates their beliefs. While I have no problem with separation of religion and state, in this case if they are able to discriminate, then I believe they should lose their tax exempt status since all tax exempt organizations are supposed to follow the labor laws of this country.

I could see various religious organizations discriminating based on a person's race or religion or lack of religion, claiming it violates their beliefs. It basically invalidates Title VII when it comes to employment in any religious organization.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamewell45 View Post
    It's not an easy for sure; any religious organization, no matter how flimsy the pretext is, can deny you employment if it violates their beliefs. While I have no problem with separation of religion and state, in this case if they are able to discriminate, then I believe they should lose their tax exempt status since all tax exempt organizations are supposed to follow the labor laws of this country.

I could see various religious organizations discriminating based on a person's race or religion or lack of religion, claiming it violates their beliefs. It basically invalidates Title VII when it comes to employment in any religious organization.
    You make some valid points. So far I am still discombobulated by the story, but I agree with you. It seems like it would be a given that when a business or a church, (not sure there is a difference there.) hires someone, they always choose who is a best fit for their company and how they want to be represented. In a way all employers discriminate in that way.

If I go into a business for an interview where everyone is wearing suits, and the environment is refined. But I go in unkempt and talk brashly and rude. It is only through a discriminating mind that they would decide I am not a proper fit to represent their interests. So my thoughts when it comes to religion, they would have the same kinds of natural discriminations as any other business.

I don't see why churches shouldn't pay taxes anyways but you are right when you site the labor laws it does make sense. I am in agreement.

Although we all know we cant have outright racial or religious discrimination taking place in businesses. It seems we cant stop all discrimination. Since every choice a person makes comes from a discriminating mind. Perhaps that goes off subject a bit.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Gamewell45 (08-14-2019)

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    You make some valid points. So far I am still discombobulated by the story, but I agree with you. It seems like it would be a given that when a business or a church, (not sure there is a difference there.) hires someone, they always choose who is a best fit for their company and how they want to be represented. In a way all employers discriminate in that way.

If I go into a business for an interview where everyone is wearing suits, and the environment is refined. But I go in unkempt and talk brashly and rude. It is only through a discriminating mind that they would decide I am not a proper fit to represent their interests. So my thoughts when it comes to religion, they would have the same kinds of natural discriminations as any other business.

I don't see why churches shouldn't pay taxes anyways but you are right when you site the labor laws it does make sense. I am in agreement.

Although we all know we cant have outright racial or religious discrimination taking place in businesses. It seems we cant stop all discrimination. Since every choice a person makes comes from a discriminating mind. Perhaps that goes off subject a bit.
    Granted it's tough to eliminate all discrimination, but the laws are there so if you can prove a violation of Title VII, you can seek redress thought the legal system.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamewell45 View Post
    Granted it's tough to eliminate all discrimination, but the laws are there so if you can prove a violation of Title VII, you can seek redress thought the legal system.
    That is a good thing too. I am not sure but it seems to me some of the worst discrimination might come once you are already employed. But I am not too informed on the subject like you are since you have spent your life working for workers rights. This means I don't know much in comparison to your experience.

That being said, I appreciate people like you who have fought for the rights of others. It is people like you who make the incremental changes that make up the big picture and set to make our nation a better place for all. It is these small changes that move and shape the fabric of our society. It is hard to see it, but those small changes make up the whole.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Gamewell45 (08-15-2019)